Friday, February 13, 2009

love you forever

I started something....about five years ago...and it's becoming a big thing! When my twin granddaughters were two years old...they came for a Valentine's tea party. We cut hearts out of finger jello...decorated heart cookies with candies...and sipped our tea from my finest china (a tea set I got at the age of four). They've come every year since then...and last year we invited cousin Ranen to join us. Now as you all know...tea parties are just for girls, right? Well, Ryder caught wind of the event...and begged to be included. So our little tea party has expanded over the years...and now the mommies are coming as well.


It's all set...we're having a tea party on Saturday afternoon. Ryder has cleared his calendar of all important barn chores...and promises to be on his best behaviour. And I found the perfect little plates on which to serve our goodies...plates which Emme and Spencer can claim as their own once the party is over. The other grands can take something warm and cuddly home as a little valentine treat.

A few weeks back, I gave you a little background on our most famous children's author...Robert Munsch. His best known book...and my all-time favorite...is one called Love You Forever. It actually started off as a song...that he sang to his wife as they mourned the loss of two still-born babies. It turned out to be a book that parents buy for children...children buy for parents and grandparents...it's a book for all ages and so perfect for Valentine's Day. And so it ends with...

I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
as long as I'm living
my baby you'll be.

However you say it...just be sure to tell your 'babies' that you will love them forever. Have a wonderful Valentine's Day!


13 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea,sounds like so much fun. I just know it'll be a memory making afternoon. I have purchased so many copies of that book, each of my children have one and for gifts for others. I LOVE the cupcake plates, how cute! Blessings, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea, Judy.
    The Great Dane and I will be enjoying a sleepover with our 16 month old, giving his mummy and daddy a chance to wake up with only one hungry baby and so enjoy a peaceful morning. They thing they're the ones getting the treat, but we grands know better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful tradition that creates the kind of memories the kids will have their entire life. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun...a tea party with your family. I do hope that you share pictures. Those plates are so cute. Twin granddaughters...what a fortunate lady you are!! Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful idea. My girls love a good tea party and they have even got the neighbor boys to enjoy it (I think it becuz I give them cookies to eat).

    I love those plates and to come in a matching box. What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun....and what a giving thing to do. Happy Valentines.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My boy has never been fond of books, but that is one book that I remember he liked when he was little. Funny how it brings with it a special memory. You are making special memories for your grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, you're my kind of grandmother...I, on the other hand, am dropping off cards, candy, and in a moment of guilt over said candy...toothbrushes! ROFL!

    You are yours have a wonderful Valentine's Day Tea Party...Ryder will be a gentleman, I'm sure. The plates are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Judy, you are so good. I hope you all have the sweetest Valentine's Day ever.

    I will be going out to a Valentine's Day breakfast with my boys.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'Love you forever'..I sing that song to my son often!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful way to spend St. Valentines's Dat Judy! Have fun and make some wonderful memoriea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've always been good at valentines day. Always. We're taking baths and picking out our pink over here this am.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can visualize you enjoying your tea party. How special an idea to share with your sweethearts.
    I can't wait to share time with you on Tuesday...

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson