With a bumper crop of raspberries out in the garden...we are enjoying raspberries in our salads and in our desserts. I have a new favorite scone recipe...that I have previously used for blueberry scones...and for cherry scones...
Blueberry Raspberry Scones
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 cups fresh raspberries
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large bow.
- Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender until fine.
- Mix the wet ingredients separately; then add to dry ingredients, stirring with a fork until mixture has been moistened.
Stir in blueberries.
- Drop small mounds of batter onto parchment lined cookie sheet....flatten slightly. Arrange several raspberries on each mound...then top each with another small amount of batter...and add a raspberry on top. (Since raspberries are very fragile...this method seems to work better than stirring the berries into the batter.)
Glaze while warm with a mixture of 3/4 cup icing sugar, 1 teaspoon orange peel, and 3 Tablespoons of orange juice.
Then be sure to have the pot of coffee ready...and maybe someone to share it with...and you can be guaranteed that there will be no scones left for tomorrow!