Monday, February 6, 2012

of sunshine and signings and such...

We have had the most glorious weather over here these past days.


Blue skies and snow-capped peaks are a feast for the eyes!
It has been warm enough to play tennis...
and hike...
and bike...
or even clean up the garden.
I have done none of the above...
since my days have been filled with pre-arranged appointments and events.

 (Winks, Anneliese, Lovella, Darcey, Julie, Judy, Marg and Kathy)

On Saturday Winks hosted a special event at her shop...
Some of us joined her for a few hours...
and signed books and met the nicest of people.
Winks was donating all proceeds from the event to feed hungry children in Romania.
It was fun to meet Darcey who works in Calarasi, Romania...
and will be returning there shortly.
We had a good time!

Here's a cookbook story I just have to share.
I ran into Safeway over the weekend in search of cornmeal.
An elderly gentleman was perusing the shelves nearby...
and asked if I would happen to know where the oat bran might be.
I helped him find the oat bran.
Then he showed me his grocery list...
and informed me that he had just bought a new cookbook...
and he was planning to try his hand at baking bread.
'Which cookbook?' I asked.
'Mennonite Girls Can Cook'...was his response.
I laughed and introduced myself...
and asked which bread he planned to bake.
Sunflower Flaxseed Bread...
a recipe I had submitted.
He had seen the segment about the cookbook on Global TV news before Christmas...
and ordered the book on-line.
He had no idea any of the authors lived nearby...
and was most surprised to meet me...
in the baking aisle...
at Safeway!
Co-incidence?
I think not.

The sun is scheduled to shine again today.
I have full intentions of getting out there!
We'll see how that goes.


16 comments:

  1. So you suppose that folks will believe him when he tells them that he met a star?! What a sweet story....I love it!! Hope that the bread came out wonderfully for him.

    You gals sure stay busy. What a wonderful event that Winks hosted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet bit of serendipity!
    Wasn't the weekend beautiful? It's lulling me into the belief that spring may not be too far off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story. I'll bet that chance encounter was a thrill for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, that's a neat story you shared, and what a good picture of the group on a sunny day! Dairymary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful photo of everyone in front of winks. The weather really has been glorious around here. I think that Safeway story is so much fun!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another signing, another day out, another story that warms the heart, and another day of sun.
    Thinking about bread...this might be a perfect day for that.
    And who knows what today may bring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun, great story! We're having amazing weather too!

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great cookbook story. Love it and I also love the bread he is planning to make. In fact, I made it again this weekend and we had a hard time leaving it alone. I think it is the best bread recipe I have made to date.
    Enjoy your nice weather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fun encounter. Coincidence, nah, I don't think so either. Sweet story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great encounter and story! You ARE famous - I knew it! We are having similar weather here in Ontario - it's so weird and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Hope the perennials can survive this??
    Your association with Winks is so great as you promote each other for such worthwhile causes!
    Wondering what you are making with cornmeal......

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a neat story! I'm sure you blessed the socks off that gentleman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the Godincidences that happen. You probably made his day! He found his oat bran and the person behind the exact recipe he was making...coooooool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I could run into you at my Safeway. Or Starbucks. I would recognize you, though, especially if you had your apron on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks sunny and beautiful there, Judy! I loved the cookbook story ..and I hope his bread came out as well as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love those stories and am kind of sad we did not blog them all. It would have been so fun to have a label listed as book stories. Great times!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with Lovella's comment. I'll e-mail you another cookbook story. If you run out of planned activities, you could plan to come south and help me cut lawn and do the spring yard-cleanup that's overdue. Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson