Sunday, December 21, 2008

Lo, how a rose...

"There shall come forth a shoot from the stump of Jesse,
and a branch shall grow out of his roots."
Isaiah 11:1


Lo, how a Rose e’er blooming from tender stem hath sprung! of Jesse’s lineage coming, as those of old have sung. It came, a floweret bright, amid the cold of winter, when half spent was the night. Isaiah ’twas foretold it, the Rose I have in mind; Mary we behold it, the Virgin Mother kind. To show God’s love aright, she bore to us a Savior, when half spent was the night.

This popular Christmas carol was originally written in 1599 in Cologne, Germany. Several hundred years later it was translated into English...although I happened to find it in the original language in an antique German hymnal.

 

This Christmas carol takes me back to my childhood...where I heard it sung by choirs in both German and English...and playing from our old hi-fi stereo next to the Christmas tree during the Christmas season. What a beautiful picture...Christ is portrayed as the rose...who has come to bring us beauty in our winter and light in our darkness.

This Christmas, may you find music that moves your soul...and more importantly, may you experience the Christ of Christmas!
Christmas blessings to you...

9 comments:

  1. That is a nice old hymn of the church. I'd love to hear it sung in German.

    Judy! Don't look now, but it's snowing in your blog! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, this is beautiful. I had not heard it before. Thank you for sharing.

    Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember hearing that sung at Christmas in the years we lived in Germany, but have never heard it in English.
    Are you snowed in over there? We are completely snowed in here - cozy with our 'best Christmas gift ever' and family just arrived from the east.
    Thank you, once again, for a beautiful image and an perfect seasonal verse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I happened to request that hymn this morning in church, and some how it didn't quite sound as good with just the piano and in English; as it did with Ron playing violin and people singing who had sung it before and knew there parts. We did alright on Star of the East though. Have a good day. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I remember singing that in German. Memories.
    I love your snow....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Singing it with you Judy.. . a beautiful Hymn and your picture is perfect with it. . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, a gorgeous post! I love that Christmas hymn, it has a hauntingly beautiful melody and lovely reminders of Old Testament references to Jesus. And, your rose photo is just perfect for this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting..I am guessing Spencer & Ryder are the twins, or is it Spencer & Emme? and how did you get that snow? Have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing this beautiful song. I'll have to get my friend to sing it for me, she can sing it in German I'm sure. I believe this is one of her favorite hymns, though I don't know if I've heard it.

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson