Sunday, June 14, 2009

words to live by...

My grandmother's Bible happens to be one of my treasures. It is in the German language...in some kind of script that is not the easiest to decipher...and so I mostly keep it on display. But occasionally I pull it out...and see which verses she had marked...and read the little notes that are tucked inside the pages. Her Bible has a marker at Psalm 116...with notations by many of the verses. I'm thinking she added her 'amen' to verse one!

I love the LORD, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy.
Psalm 116: 1


Sunday blessings...


8 comments:

  1. Judy, this is a lovely post. How wonderful you have your grandmother's Bible. Have a pleasant Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is priceless Judy. I have my grandfather's prayer book. The Catholic faith did not teach the reading of the Bible years ago, which I think is sad. So my grandfather's book is a book of prayers for daily living,etc. I also have my first Daily Missal which is in Latin. I got it at age 18. I was raised Roman Catholic, but I study my Bible daily.It is taught now in the church, which I think they should have been doing all along. Blessings on this Holy Sunday.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful connection to your mother, Judy, especially her notations.
    Wishing you a beautiful Sunday in your valley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, I have the Bibles which belonged to my grandmothers, too. I love reading their notations. It makes me feel like I can touch their faces.

    This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Precious memories, how they linger, and how special to have a visible reminder of one very dear to you. Your photo of her Bible is one of the most beautiful pictures of the Bible that I've ever seen. Hope you are having a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful treasure! Hope you had a blessed Sunday. My company leaves tomorrow -- I'm a little sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a meaningful gift. I have table cloths but not her Bible.
    Thanks for sharing those special words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful. I too have my Grandma's bible, and it is very precious to me.

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson