- 100 brand name disposable diapers...more or less.
- scrap ribbon to tie each tier
- 2" wide decorative ribbon to wrap the tiers
- narrower co-ordinating ribbon to top wide ribbon
- glue gun
- cake topper (teddy bear)
- co-ordinating goodies to attach to cake
- round pizza pan
- soup can or pop bottle...or anything round
- stick pins (use to secure ribbon while gluing)
- Place a round bottle or can in the middle of a pizza pan.
- Working with forty diapers, begin by laying the first few on end and fanning them around the bottle. Continue working, adding more and more diapers in pinwheel fashion around the centre, until 36 are used.
- Tie tightly around the middle with a length of scrap ribbon.
- Remove bottle from the middle, and stuff with remaining four diapers.
- Repeat for the second tier, using 28 diapers, and four in the centre.
- Repeat with third tier, using 16 diapers, and four for the centre.
- With scrap ribbon securing the tiers, go back and straighten out diapers to ensure even spacing.
- Measure out lengths of decorator ribbon, allowing two inches overlap for each tier.
- Cut the ribbon, wrap around tier (over scrap ribbon) securing with stick pins.
- Glue the ribbon TO ribbon (not to diapers).
- Once glue has hardened and cooled, remove stick pins.
- Untie and pull out the scrap ribbon.
- To add a second layer of narrower ribbon, glue directly onto wide ribbon.
- Assemble the layers.
- Put a doweling (cut to length) through centre to hold tiers together.
- Now the fun part...decorate as you choose! (Use floral picks or double-sided tape to secure decor items.)
I used flowers made from baby socks...washcloths rolled up...baby spoons and pacifiers...and topped the cake with a knit Teddy. Place cake on a large round cake tray...and 'serve it up'.