Thursday, October 13, 2011

the diaper cake recipe...

It's been months since I made it...the cake for Lucy's baby shower.  Buying the supplies was easy...putting it all together was fun...but finding instructions was the hardest part.  So I'll do my best to pass along the recipe as best I recall...for those of you who asked.


Ingredients:
  • 100 brand name disposable diapers...more or less.
  • scrap ribbon to tie each tier
  • 2" wide decorative ribbon to wrap the tiers
  • narrower co-ordinating ribbon to top wide ribbon
  • glue gun
  • cake topper (teddy bear)
  • co-ordinating goodies to attach to cake
  • round pizza pan
  • soup can or pop bottle...or anything round 
  • doweling
  • stick pins (use to secure ribbon while gluing)
For three tiers, use the following proportions: Tier 1 - 48 diapers / Tier 2 - 32 diapers / Tier 3-20 diapers Each tier should be about 1/3 smaller than the one beneath it.

 Method:
  1. Place a round bottle or can in the middle of a pizza pan.
  2. Working with forty diapers, begin by laying the first few on end and fanning them around the bottle.  Continue working, adding more and more diapers in pinwheel fashion around the centre, until 36 are used.
  3. Tie tightly around the middle with a length of scrap ribbon.
  4. Remove bottle from the middle, and stuff with remaining four diapers.
  5. Repeat for the second tier, using 28 diapers, and four in the centre.
  6. Repeat with third tier, using 16 diapers, and four for the centre.
  7. With scrap ribbon securing the tiers, go back and straighten out diapers to ensure even spacing.
  8. Measure out lengths of  decorator ribbon, allowing two inches overlap for each tier.
  9. Cut the ribbon, wrap around tier (over scrap ribbon) securing with stick pins.
  10. Glue the ribbon TO ribbon (not to diapers).
  11. Once glue has hardened and cooled, remove stick pins.
  12. Untie and pull out the scrap ribbon.
  13. To add a second layer of narrower ribbon, glue directly onto wide ribbon.
  14. Assemble the layers. 
  15. Put a doweling  (cut to length) through centre to hold tiers together.
  16. Now the fun part...decorate as you choose!  (Use floral picks or double-sided tape to secure decor items.)

I used flowers made from baby socks...washcloths rolled up...baby spoons and pacifiers...and topped the cake with a knit Teddy.  Place cake on a large round cake tray...and 'serve it up'.

13 comments:

  1. Now, this is something to keep on file for the next baby shower - filing now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute!!! I know who to hire! It might be along time waiting in this family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really is cute Judy! Love the colors...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this!!! I am praying I get to make one in the next year or so for my youngest daughter. I really like the colors/ribbon, etc. you used!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I'd keep it on file, though I'm afraid there'll be no new grands. Perhaps so great-nieces or nephews one day...

    ReplyDelete
  6. yOU DID SUCH A PROFESSIONAL JOB. i CAN READ AND UNDERSTAND THE DIRECTIONS BUT THAT IS A FAR CRY FROM HAVING 40 DIAPERS ALL GO NEATLY IN A CIRCLE IN THE SAME DIRECTION EVENLY SPACED WITH ONLY 2HANDS.

    oOPS, SORRY, I just noticed the caps but I'm too tired to redo it. You see what I mean about keeping my hands under control? Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judy. .you did a beautiful job. I love seeing all the variations and yours is pretty in pink.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely, practical and ...well used! THANKYOU!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this pretty pink diaper cake, Judy! I hope to need the instuctions to make one for my daughter at a future date!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is absolutely adorable Judy - it makes me look forward to the day I will be a Grandma and be able to do this for my precious grandchildren to come (mind you I have many years before that time is here!).

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson