Monday, October 10, 2011

thanksgiving greetings from down on the farm...

Harvest...
and Thanksgiving.

They go hand-in-hand.

According to Canadian statutes...
the second Monday in October is...
'a day of general thanksgiving to almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed'.

That's today. 


I took this photo of the Thanksgiving display in church yesterday morning...
because I liked it.

What I didn't know at the time...
was that the hay and corn came from our farm.

I like that too!


This was the view from my kitchen window on Saturday...
and by evening that field of corn was gone.

 There's still more to be be harvested...
since we are a little late this year.

But for what is in the barns...
and what is out on the fields...
for all the bounty of the land...
we give thanks.

 Happy Thanksgiving Day!



10 comments:

  1. Oh how wonderful to get the corn in. I remember not too long ago when it was a concern. Now it's an answer to prayer. Have the very best Thanksgiving, Judy, with all your family gathered in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy - I hope you have a lovely, relaxing Thanksgiving with as many of your family members as can get together. Surely getting all that corn in is a good thing, and maybe the farmers can relax a little and enjoy today. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen Judy. I love that quote from the Canadian statutes. I didn't know that. I am praying that your corn is able to be harvested and those cobs increase by the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving Day to you Judy! I love these "bountiful harvest" photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that church display! A very Happy Thanksgiving day to you...
    Enjoy the leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you're getting the corn in. Happy Thanksgiving, Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a wonderful greeting from the front of the church and more meaningful when I realized it came from your place. Hopefully the weather will chane and the rest of the harvest will be completed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed seeing pictures of your corn being harvested. Our combine is back in working order, the fields are dry again and the farmer will be back in the saddle tomorrow. Our barley harvest continues...thankfully!
    Happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know you must count your blessings every time you look out your window and every time you gaze upon the loving faces of your family and friends.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you are getting your corn in! And that's funny that you didn't even recognize your corn at church! LOL. Very nice display!

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson