Monday, November 14, 2016

a desert get-away

We began this month in one of our favorite warm spots...the desert near Palm Springs.  By the end of the month I will be immersed in all things Christmas and have long forgotten about our time in the sun...so I'll share a few pic's now.


We have stayed at this same resort many times...often meeting up with family or friends while we are there.


We had a ground floor suite this time...




...and watched the birds on the lagoon from our patio.



It was mostly a lazy time all around!  Though we started every morning off with a nice long walk...



...in the desert behind the resort



...around the adjacent golf course



...or through one of the many new sub-divisions sprouting up nearby.



We also hiked the Ladder Canyon Trail at Painted Canyon near Mecca for the first time. This trail has about seven ladders to help hikers make their way through the slot canyon. The trail-head was a little hard to find...but we met up with a boyscout leader that pointed us in the right direction.  The loop trail took us about three hours. 


Much of the scenery reminded us of that in Death Valley...several hundred miles away. The temperature was just perfect for hiking. 



If you are ever in the Palm Springs area and looking for a good hike...check out Mecca Hills Painted Canyon.

We spent a few days with family at the resort, met up with friends for dinner and church, and also drove to Quartzsite, Arizona to spend a evening with two of my sisters and their hubbies. But for the most part, we read books and floated on the lazy river.


I quite liked our desert get-away!  It was just what I needed.



11 comments:

  1. Wow - such a lovely place to relax and enjoy. That hike looks amazing. Some of our dear friends are going there in March - I will share this post with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to go there. Can you give me the name of the resort?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds wonderful! Just what we need with Winter approaching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I wonder if I would enjoy a resort in the desert. Parts of it for sure—reading on the lazy river, but hiking in the desert? I'll leave that to you and Elmer. Glad that you got just what you needed when you needed it. 🏜

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was so nice to see your get-away spot and to meet up for dinner and church. As much as I love the lush forests and mountains of home, I have also come to enjoy the desert beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you were able to rest and refresh in the desert!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful retreat to be refreshed although refreshing in the desert sounds weird. Beautiful images. I do like the desert in the fall and winter. My first year of college was so close to one of your favorite retreats. (Redlands)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The resort sure looks lovely Judy! Nice to have a relaxing getaway like that. I think we could use a restful vacation one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely place to visit! A great getaway...
    Nice to see the pictures too!
    Love from Titti

    ReplyDelete
  10. Judy this resort looks so peaceful and beautiful! I think someday I'd like to go to a place like this with my husband. We usually go on adventures where we are out and about all day and a relaxing vacation with no schedule would be a nice change.
    Enjoy the Christmas season!

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson