Tuesday, September 18, 2007

the great blue heron

As I left for my morning walk, I noticed a great blue heron on the yard, so I ran back for my camera. He didn't want to pose for me though so I'll post a few pic's of the last time he came for a visit.


I actually took those pic's through our patio windows. They are very skittish & don't like being photographed. We have a 'blue heron reserve' in Chilliwack where people can observe the heron in it's natural habitat...they have over 200 blue heron nests. However, we have lots of them right on our farm. Since I had my camera with me, I caught this one beside the road this morning. He gave up his fishing spot when he saw me coming, so that's as close as I could get.

The great blue heron is about 2 feet tall & lives to be over 23 years! (I don't actually know these things...I looked that up!)

Well, it is corn harvesting time on the farm & I am supposed to be bringing lunch out to the field in a few hours, so let's see what I come up with.

2 comments:

  1. Judy, you make me laugh, . . its almost like we are related. I feel like I'm reading my blog when I read that you saw something . .ran back for the camera . . .it feels like dejavu.
    Anyways. . ..your blue heron pictures are great, and then I noticed the fence, is that yours? Terry has wanted to put up a fence like that for years. again . . .you think those guys were related or something.
    Have a great day, I'll be back to check what you made the field workers for lunch.

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson