Thursday, September 20, 2007

in loving memory

Hildegard Neufeld Toews 1952- 2007

She was fun...she was funny...she was my friend. She passed away this morning after losing a battle to cancer.

I met Hildegard during my junior high years at MEI in Abbotsford so many years ago. We were good friends during those years and spent time in each others homes. We each went our separate ways, and lost touch after high school. The last time I met Hildegard was several years ago at Costco...she was buying flowers for her husband because they were celebrating their love (it was a special anniversary).

This summer I met Hildegard's daughter, Lara, who was engaged to a friend of my nephew's. We exchanged notes about her mom (she wanted to know 'what was she like when she was a teen'?). Lara was so excited about her upcoming wedding! Several weeks ago we heard that Hildegard was losing her battle with cancer and had been hospitalized. The wedding which was to take place last weekend was postponed. Today Hildegard has gone to meet her Maker.


Our hearts go out to the family...I can only imagine what they are going through at this time. No words will take away their sorrow, but may they feel the love and prayers of their friends.

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10

Let's enjoy our time with our family and friends and keep our relationships alive and healthy...our days are all numbered!

* * * * *

The clock of life is wound but once,

And no one has the power

To tell just when the hands will stop,

At late or early hour.

Now is the only time you own,

So live, love, toil with a will.

Do not wait until tomorrow

For the hands might then be still.

4 comments:

  1. Judy, I read your comment on Lovella's blog and I came over to laugh with you...(one little slice at a time is what I do too.)
    but I stayed to cry with you ...I know Hildegard...we were children together in West Abbotsford church before the Neufelds left for Ebenezer....I haven't seen her recently but I recognized her as soon as I looked at her photo...

    I am soo sorry.... and my heart goes out to you .... I lost a close friend over ten years ago and I still miss her....
    But we can take comfort in the fact... we will see them again!!

    I will keep you and the family in my prayers for God's comfort and peace....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry about the loss of your friend. Cancer is so mean. We dealt with cancer with our daughter this year. For none months we were scared not knowing what the outcome will be. She had brain cancer. Through surgery, radiation and God's healing power she is cancer free now. She is only 25. All this has made me look at life differently. I do not let little things bother me anymore. I am thankful for each breath we all take now. Prayers are for you and your friends family during this sad time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Julie and Andrea's comments. I feel for you as well. I lost my bridesmaid just before she turned 40 and it really hit hard. We just don't know do we?
    What a blessing to have had a friend and double the blessing to be sure you'll see her again.
    I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers too.

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson