Wednesday, May 11, 2011

the blanket ladies...

We have a group of ladies at our church that meet weekly to make blankets.  This is not about seeing who can quilt the best...or whose blanket takes the prize.  It's about providing warmth and comfort for the impoverished...for refugees...for those in countries experiencing disasters.  Their goal is to make 300 annually...and they always seem to surpass that.  When we were in Kenya...we helped distribute blankets in the slums...blankets that had arrived by container from Canada.  How I wished that these women could have been there to see the joy that a blanket can give!

Janet and I had promised that we would join them one Tuesday...show them some pictures...and share our Kenyan experience with them. 


Yesterday was the day!  While they wrapped up their blanket-making session...we whipped up some mango milkshakes to give them a wee taste of Kenya.  As they sipped...we took them back to Kenya through our pictures and our stories.   And we hoped they could see just a bit of the impact their Tuesday afternoon get-togethers have on the other side of the globe.  This I know...they are not planning to quit churning out the blankets anytime soon!

As for the mango milkshakes...here's what you need to enjoy the taste of Kenya in your own home.

  • 1 ripe mango...peeled, pitted and sliced
  • 2 scoops vanilla ice-cream
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
Place all ingredients in a blender...and blend until smooth. 
Pour into two glasses. (Everything tastes better when shared with a friend!)


Enjoy!

18 comments:

  1. Wow, these women are amazing! What a blessing they are! Sounds like a yummy recipe I'll have to try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful ministry they have. God bless them for what hey are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun way to do a great thing! I'm sure that they enjoyed learning more about the receiving end of things. More power to these wonderful gals...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to think of people like these women, all over our country, quietly engaged in caring for others, week after week. Bless them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a small girl Mom would meet regularly with a group of women and they made quilts to send to Korea. She would have been about 30. When I was about that age I worked with a children's home in Mexico that received quilted blankets from the US and Canada. Those children are adults now and all remember fondly the quilts they used to get. It's an outreach done in God's name that needs to be continued! Thanks, Judy, for encouraging the quilters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How kind are these women, and I'm sure they have so much fun getting together! That drink sounds pretty good too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always amazing how women of the same faith can come together and make such a difference...and then to top it off they could actually see the impact that this ministry has in another world. One by one we can make a small difference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What dedicated ladies they are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful group of ladies. Doing things together for others satisfies so many human needs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so wonderful. I used to join in at our old church making blankets....we were not served shakes, but we always had a soup and buns lunch. I could go for one of your shakes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the heart of these ladies who don't stop working for others when their family responsibilities end. When my Grandma was not able to get to the church sewing bee any more, she didn't stop sewing blankets. She just did them at home right until she was in her early nineties. I hope I can follow her example.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so wonderful Judy. These ladies need to be celebrated for their many years of giving to the needy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our church ladies also do blankets for an orphanage. I have not helped myself, but know they are greatly appreciated. Maybe when I retire I can have some time to join the group :) Was just told that mangoes are on sale at the grocery store,,,I may have to buy some and try the recipe you posted. Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  14. Judy,
    Mango milkshakes sould wonderful!
    Very nice treat for the blanket makers.


    God bless,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful labor of love this is!! Blessings on all of you...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post!! I have joined a similar group of ladies at our church....making crib quilts for sick children.
    I am gaoing to have to try those mango milkshakes! I hape a ripe one in the kitchen right now!!
    Thanks for including the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sure those ladies slept well that night.. knowing where some of their labor of love has gone.
    I am making that mango drink soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sis a wonderful activity ansd so helpful to many! My Mom is ina chuch group chrochets blankets for new babies and women in shelters.

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson