I went over to observe yesterday for a bit.
Acres of rhubarb...that represent many hours of manpower before it reaches the marketplace.
And there they are...the men with the knives. A few seemed to wonder what I was doing on their turf.
I am feeling a tad bit sorry for them...having to wallow around in all the mud in order to harvest the crop. Have I mentioned that it is very wet in out part of the world? And this has nothing to do with flooding...just with an over abundance of rain...with very few sunny breaks. Our spring fieldwork has yet to begin on the farm...the latest on record! Today we have sunshine...and so I am off to work in the gardens.
And I know I have a coffee break treat awaiting me...with rhubarb from the garden (not the neighbour's field...just to clarify that!). I'll leave you with the recipe for a mini-loaves or muffins or coffee cake...any way you wish to slice it!
Rhubarb Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients and sour cream and stir until smooth.
- Add the chopped rhubarb and stir.
- Turn into 6 mini loaf pans or twelve muffin cups or a 9 x 13 inch pan (greased).
- Sprinkle with topping (below) and bake at 350°F for about 35 minutes for mini-loaves...25' for muffins...and 50' for coffee cake.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons butter, softened
Have a wonderful weekend...