Friday, May 13, 2011

rooting for rhubarb...

The commercial rhubarb harvest is underway in our neighbourhood.


I went over to observe yesterday for a bit.


Acres of rhubarb...that represent many hours of manpower before it reaches the marketplace.


And there they are...the men with the knives.  A few seemed to wonder what I was doing on their turf.



I am feeling a tad bit sorry for them...having to wallow around in all the mud in order to harvest the crop.  Have I mentioned that it is very wet in out part of the world?  And this has nothing to do with flooding...just with an over abundance of rain...with very few sunny breaks.  Our spring fieldwork has yet to begin on the farm...the latest on record!   Today we have sunshine...and so I am off to work in the gardens.


And I know I have a coffee break treat awaiting me...with rhubarb from the garden (not the neighbour's field...just to clarify that!).  I'll leave you with the recipe for a mini-loaves or muffins or coffee cake...any way you wish to slice it!

Rhubarb Coffee Cake

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon  baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 cups chopped rhubarb
  1. Cream butter and sugar.  
  2. Add egg and vanilla.  Mix well.
  3. Add dry ingredients and sour cream and stir until smooth.
  4. Add the chopped rhubarb and stir.
  5. Turn into 6 mini loaf pans or twelve muffin cups or a 9 x 13 inch pan (greased).  
  6. Sprinkle with topping (below) and bake at 350°F for about 35 minutes for mini-loaves...25' for muffins...and 50' for coffee cake.
Topping:
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 Tablespoons butter, softened



Have a wonderful weekend...

14 comments:

  1. I love to watch the harvest of any crop. It does seem though that the harvesters are always curious as to photography. I so often take pictures of berry harvest across the field and am met with curious stares in return.

    The rhubarb muffins and loaves look fantastic. You should do a cooking blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our rhubarb is just out of the ground here but it won't take long. That loaf looks delicious Judy. I made frozen rhubarb and apple crisp last weekend for Mother's Day. It combined well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum. My rhubarb is just about ready for picking. Thanks for the recipe. I can see a batch of muffins coming up. V

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy would I love a piece of that! Beautiful loaves. Fun photos of the rhubarb fields!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another treat from your kitchen...from the earth to the table. Somewhere I had a rhubarb plant...have no clue what happened to it...But some yummy rhubarb recipes will be part of my kitchen plans in the next weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummers...do you know how hard it is to find delicious recipes for rhubarb?! Thank you so much! I agree with Lovella, you really should do a cooking blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That's a lot of acreage filled with rhubarb. Makes my one little plant look paltry.

    Here's a question for rhubarb folks: Can rhubarb be harvested by cutting the stalks? I was taught by my grandfather that cutting the stalks would destroy the plant and that stalks should be pulled not cut. So is there a right way or does it not matter?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm... that's one huge rhubarb field ! How many pies could one make?? smile..
    Your muffins and loaves do look mouth-watering good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For some reason rhubarb is not easily found here and when found it is very expensive. I'd love to try your delicious loaves so I will happily splurge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for an interesting post. I never gave a thought about where rhubarb comes from. Can't help wondering about the men in the turbans. When we are in Nova Scotia I love to see the machines harvest carrots. Nancy H

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH those loaves look fabulous. I have always been awed by the acres of rhubarb out your way. So healthy looking! After many years of longing, I finally have my own plants this year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That rhubarb crop is amazing!! I have one little plant in my yard that seems to have stopped growing. Maybe it's too warm here?
    Your coffee break treats look wonderfully delicious. I may have to get my rhubarb from the grocery store, but it would be worth it I'm sure. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks so delicious, thank you for sharing. Best regards

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, I am so excited to have this recipe. There is so much rhubarb now and I cannot wait to try this recipe. In fact, you cannot imagine how much I wish for one of those loaves right now with my coffee.

    My cookbook is ordered and I am so eager to receive it.

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson