Friday, August 24, 2012

near encounter with a olympic bronze medal...

Do you talk to those in the line-up with you at the check-out counter?  I must admit that I usually read magazine headlines...or think of things on my list that I forgot to buy...but rarely strike up a conversation with the strangers in front or behind.  I was at Costco this week...and the back-to-school line-ups are long.  A gal behind me politely asked if she could pay for her two items before I went through the check-out, since she was in a very big hurry.  Of course she could!



Before she rushed off, she gave me a poster that featured her daughter, who just happened to be a goalie for the famous Canadian Women's Soccer team.  That's right...the team that did us all proud by defeating France for a bronze medal.  Her daughter is Karina LeBlanc...who was at a meet-and-greet that afternoon with the Vancouver Whitecaps. Mom needed to get there!  And that was my close encounter with a Canadian Bronze medal at Costco.  Be sure to chat with those around you.  You never know who you might meet!

13 comments:

  1. How interesting! She was very sweet to pass off a poster. Bet the grands will think it is very impressive, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one of the joys of a country with a small population - you're bound to have a brush with greatness at some point, somewhere!......why, I've met some Mennonite Girls who can cook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to let her go ahead of you. What an exciting moment, you were 'near' the medal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of the stories we have to tell - I love hearing strangers stories and talking to friendly people in grocery lines. I haven't been reading many blogs lately but just looked back at yours and enjoyed them all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow pretty cool experience! True we just never know...

    Have a great day!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's fun Judy. It's good to be conscious of the people around us, even in line ups!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't that cool She was a proud mom...as she should be! She met a nice lady in the line up....YOU!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great reminder! Sometimes we are just too consumed with the urgent and forget to take time for others. What an opportunity for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cool!!! I agree with Pondside - I too have met two famous MGCC peeps and have talked to one on the phone AND my very first comment on by blog came from one -my claim to fame!!! I had to smile at your comment about being preoccupied in the line up with what have you forgotten - oh boy - that's me to a tee!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always amazing who you could meet in that line up...she's got the bronze and I'm proudly wearing a 2012 London Olympic shirt.
    What a great identity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was an unexpected blessing...for both of you! :-) I did cheer for your Canadian athletes...when they weren't playing US!! ha!ha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's pretty cool! You never know whom you will meet if you take the time to notice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a nice encounter with a proud and happy mother!

    Hebrews 13:2 "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares;"

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson