We visited Waimea Canyon...
...and the breath-taking beauty of the red rock canyons contrasted by the green vegetation.
Far below, we spotted a little farm nestled into the valley.
They are rather striking birds...evidence of their fighting heritage. We stopped for lunch at a picnic site along the beach...while chickens scuttled about everywhere.
We travelled to the far north of Kauaii...a wonderful resort area called Princeville.
Here we spent a while enjoying the beach...the waves...and the mist rolling in off the sea.
We passed taro fields in this area...
...and spent a great deal of time viewing a grove of coconut palms. It wasn't intended to be a stop on our tour...but we spent a few hours parked right next to this grove of palms when the one-and-only highway on the island was closed due to a fatal car accident. Fortunately, our ship was not due to sail until the morning...so we weren't too upset by our roadblock. Thankfully we had books along...so we read until the lights went out. We missed a wonderful dinner on-board that night...but had a lesson in patience beside the grove of coconut palms.
Our cruise ship passed by the rugged Napili Coast...and on to Hilo on the east coast of the Big Island. We again rented a car and saw as much as we could!
From Onomea Bay...
...to Rainbow Falls
...and Luliuokalani Park (the Japanese Gardens of Hilo).
Having been to Kona before, we knew exactly where to go when we arrived at that port. We hopped onto a shuttle and headed for 'turtle bay'...where we snorkeled at our favorite spot.
We had planned to bike the volcano in Maui...but by the end of the week we decided to take a day off and relax. Getting up at 4 am to take part in the bike tour just didn't seem that appealing anymore.
So we spent our last day in Maui on the chaise lounge with a good book...
...and woke up on our final morning in the Port of Honolulu. It was a fun way to explore the islands...sort of like a sampler buffet. So if you are interested in checking out all the Hawaiian Islands on a whirlwind tour...check out the cruises.
- Trish ~ My Corner of the Universe Beautiful B.C. ~ Vancouver Island
- Pat ~ Mille Fiori Favoriti Ireland
- Kathy ~ Shocking Pink Thread Yellowstone & Grand Teton National Park
- Millie ~ Wreathmaker Waterton National Park
- Vee ~ A Haven for Vee Pemaquid Point
- Trish ~ My Corner of the Universe Ucluelet
- Marg ~ Home Again Shaking Hands with Europe
- Knitting Mania ~ Napa Valley
- Trish ~ My Corner of the Universe The Pacific Rim
- Marg ~ Home Again Riding the Blue Danube
- A Woman Who is ~ Giverney
- Lovella ~ What Matters Most Ride to Sturgis
- Trish ~ My Corner of the Universe Wonderful West Coast
- Lisa ~ Stop and Smell the Chocolates Bryce Canyon