Sunday, November 25, 2007

Christmas at Hycroft Mansion...

While half of Canada watched the Grey Cup game yesterday afternoon, a group of us headed to downtown Vancouver for the annual Christmas open-house at Hycroft Mansion.


No, it wasn't snowing in Vancouver yesterday, but I had to throw in one picture from last year.  
It does sometimes snow out here in November.

Hycroft is a magnificent Edwardian mansion, originally built for Alexander McCrae who was a leading businessman and politician in the beginning of the twentieth century. Construction began in 1909 and the home took two years to complete and quickly became the hub of social life in Vancouver. In 1942 the McCrae's gave the home to the Canadian government and it became a hospital for war veterans until 1960. At that time it was purchased by the University of British Columbia Women's Club and has been restored and maintained by them. It is used for for receptions and private parties throughout the year, but only open to the public for the annual Christmas open-house. What a great old house!

Let me give you a peak...

I just love all the ornate detail & fancy moldings!


The dining room was all ready for us...

I think the cooks were watching the Grey Cup game though!

Every room had it's own tree...

...and most also had their own fireplace.

What a lovely place to visit...and get inspired! 

I came home with a few ideas, an advent calender and a wonderful Christmas book for the grandkids.

5 comments:

  1. Can't miss out on the spirit of Grey Cup..but it sounds like you had a lot of fun...It really puts one in the Christmas mood, eh?

    At first I thought that was your house all lighted up...but just a closer look helped me identify quickly.

    I'll get back to you on the Latte's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's where I would've been if I had been in Vancouver. One can watch sports any old day.

    Thank you for telling me about the Rice Krispies square "gingerbread" houses. That sounds really cute and easy...tasty, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, what a wonderful place to visit. I confess I didn't know about it so we'll have to take it in.
    Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing!! I would love to tour a grand old home like that. Thanks for giving us a tour!

    Linda
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the tour! I enjoyed it thoroughly!
    What a magnificent mansion!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson