Wednesday, November 28, 2007

tried and true

I was at my favorite garden shop the other day and what did my blue eyes see? An entire display of blue poinsettias. I don't know what you think, but somehow that just seems wrong!

Blues and greens look lovely on trees, decked out to match the decor. But poinsettias?


And look up...there's another upside down Christmas tree.


Apparently they are the hottest trend and selling as fast as the stores bring them in. I originally thought they were just a way for merchants to display their trees without taking up floor space. But they have many practical benefits, so people are snapping them up...they save space, and they are safe from kids and pets. And they look quite pretty hanging as a chandelier...the ornaments don't get caught up in the branches but hang straight down. And (this is the best one) there is so much more room to pile the presents under the tree!

Most of my decorating still needs to happen, and I'm ready for something new. But upside trees and blue poinsettias won't be found here. I'm sticking to the tried and true!


Enjoy the season!

8 comments:

  1. Judy,
    Thank you so very much for guiding your sister, Bev, to my little blog. I've been trying to send her a message to thank her for visiting, but I'm having trouble with Yahoo; which they assure me they will fix today.
    I just wanted to thank both you and your sister for your kind comments and did not want either of you to think that I've been slack in responding. In fact, I would have written sooner IF I could have.
    Oh well, it's all good (as the kids say) because I will have learned how to do something else computer-wise~~that's always a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy,
    I couldn't agree with you more, I'm such a tradtionalist when it comes to Christmas. I love the red and green. I did the pink and white for a number of years and I'm happy to be back to my childhood memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I can't say that I am a fan of the blue and green, but I will admitt to loving the verigated pink/white ones!

    Look forward to seeing your home when it's halls have been decorated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that upside down tree would work for a couple of the gals asking me how to keep their cats away from the decorations. LOL!

    I kind of agree with you about the blue poinsettias...they just seem so different. On the other hand, they look kinda cool. There I go...waffling again.

    Hope that you find lots of good tips; it's such a wonderful way to maintain tree health and maintain renewability.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look more like Easter poinsettias! : ) I'm not ready for blue poinsettias. Just too traditional! And I certainly couldn't cope with that upside down tree! *sigh* I fear change! *lol*

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Judy, you can thank Vee for my invasion...now I'm loving that tree upside down...cats, you see. As for blue Poinsettia? No, no, and again I say no...love reds, from deep pink to bloody scarlet...no blues or greens, please...I'll be back to see you tomorrow...
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Judy, you know the hard tough earth that I was raised on..
    We're off to cut down a Christmas tree this Friday with little Mac.

    For me it's red poinsetta's. They match my house decor.

    I'm off to Lellow's tomorrow. I'm so excited!!! to find some new baby gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Judy, in San Antonio at my favorite Mexican food restaurant, Mi Tierra, it's a huge place - open 24-7,they decorate with lots of upside down Christmas trees with 1,000's of lights, brightly colored (mostly red/green/white) tin Mexican ornaments and tons of garland - almost looks like Mardi Gras. Sort of "more is better". It is an absolutely wonderful experience for the senses to go eat there. And the food is to die for! My favorite - Vickie

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson