Wednesday, September 22, 2010

doing the salsa...

Yesterday was the annual salsa marathon.  What that means is that I pretty much set the day aside for making salsa. 

 

Forty pounds of tomatoes to peel and chop...40 jalapeno peppers to mince....a big bowl of onions to make me cry...and all the other goodies that add a little zip and flavour. 

And since I have done this for so many years...I should know the ingredient list off by heart.  So how was it that I was about ready to put the first batch of salsa on to simmer...and realized I had no green peppers?   Since I don't exactly live near a store...that is somewhat inconvenient!  But I thought I would just whip down to the country kiosk nearby that sells peppers...and so I did.  They had red and yellow peppers...but not green.  On to the next roadside stand...another mile and a half down the road.  They had plenty of red and yellow peppers as well...but no green.  By now I had added an extra five miles to my trip to the produce market in town...and that is where I went in the end.  And so my salsa making had a little interruption...but eventually got back on track.


Heidi came to help after lunch...and brought along empty jars...which she plans to take home full.  That's how it works.  Oh...and for our afternoon snack we had crackers and salsa...the last of the 2009 stock.  How's that for timing?

The farmer's almanac says we are in for a cold winter.  We are ready...we have some heat in a jar!

15 comments:

  1. Home made salsa is the best dish...low in calories, but I love to add the cheese. We can't keep enough around in my kitchen...
    I'm getting ready for that day...also but not this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not mild salsa I see...Ha! Oh I love salsa, but have never made it before. My mother and I have set our date/s for pickle making...this weekend. I'll be paying close attention to what she has to teach me. Perhaps I can talk her into including homemade salsa...

    ReplyDelete
  3. shameful, but pretty much that's all I did. Whoops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll bet that your Heat-in-a-jar is delicious, and your house must have had an interesting aroma for days. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I could have gotten in on this. We love salsa! We were laughing about the Jewish community here who celebrath Sukkot with an event call "Salsa in the Sukkah":
    Decorate a Sukkah, a temporary dwelling used by the Israelites on their journey to Jerusalem, then enjoy a salsa sampling and salsa dance lessons.

    Those Jewish girls can cook, and dance too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS: and they will have Margaritas available for purchase as well. We might just be going!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I do enjoy some good home made salsa. I have never made my own. .It is either feast or famine at our house with fresh cut salsa now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you are getting into dealing with all the fall veggies too :)

    I really admire any one who does canning. Even in my hay day of putting up food for my family, it always ended up in a freezer bag.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmm...your salsa looks so good Judy! I read that freezing onions slightly before chopping prevents their oil from making one cry...I haven't tried that as yet.

    I wonder if red or yellow peppers would have changed the taste of your recipe? I guess it would be slightly sweeter?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm, looks very good.
    Now I'm back I am going to make all my tomatoes, which are waiting in the freezer, into chutney.That will see us through the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great feeling to have those jars filled for winter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Judy I happen to know that if you ask at those Pepper farms, they'll gladly find the green ones for you.

    Your salsa would be perfect for making the Seafood Salsa I have scheduled for December on the Mennonite Girls Can Cook blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmm that Salsa sure looks delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Does it work for anyone who brings empty jars to your home, that they leave with full ones? What an accomplishment for you. Salsa can be used with so many recipes. That last picture is beautiful with the filled canning jars.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum, yum! So great that you had a marathon with company! Isn't that funny how we can forget a main ingredient like that!

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson