Thursday, September 23, 2010

sew what?

My sewing machine has not seen much action for awhile...but yesterday it got dusted off.  It all started when four girls showed up on my porch on Saturday afternoon...with scraps of fabric in their arms...wondering if I might teach them to sew.  Well, that seemed like a fine idea...but the timing was a little off, since I was baking and had company coming for dinner.  So I suggested they come back one afternoon this week...right after school.  So we went through all the days of the week...and someone had somewhere they had to be each day.  We finally settled on Wednesday...knowing Emme would have to leave early for gymnastics. 


So...yesterday was the day...and I was prepared.  I picked up some fun fabrics...and they each made a pillow case.  First they learned to sew a straight line on fabric scraps...and then they sewed the straight seams of their pillow case.  One trip down each seam with the serger...a little pressing and their projects were complete.


Emme's was done before she left for her class.


The others took their time...and walked home across the fields with their finished pillowcases.  How fun to have neighbourhood friends...to play with...and sew with.  From the sewing room...they moved to the ditch bank...where there is a fort is under construction.  These carefree days of 'summer' will end far too soon!

Enjoy your day!

18 comments:

  1. Judy are these your granddaughters?
    You are so lucky to be able to spend time with them, teaching them to sew and I predict that they will be back with even more enthusiasm wanting to make more things. Have fun with your lovely girls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea! The looks on the faces say it all - that you've planted a seed that could bear the fruit of hours of future fun and accomplishment. As for me.....well, I packed up all my goodies after enjoying playing with them yesterday and now can't wait to get home to my sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! That's awesome! I remember my mom teaching me to hand stitch a skirt for my barbie doll in grade 3, and somewhere along the line I was soon using a machine to make tiny "quilts" for kittens that our cat had! It was the beginning of a great love I have for sewing (too bad I don't get to do more fun sewing; it's all upholstery these days)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you are some grandma! Not only do you teach your own granddaughters to sew, but their friends as well. They'll never forget this! Dairymary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Atta girl teaching the young'uns how to sew. It drives me insane how many women don't know their way around a sewing machine. I taught my own daughter to sew, but when she finally got her own machine, it came pre-threaded. Once the thread and bobbin ran out, she stopped sewing, telling me she couldn't figure out how to start a new bobbin and spool.

    I have mentioned she is working on her master's degree haven't I? (eyes crossing here.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I continue learning my grandparent ing skills from youl Never thought to teach them to sew, but what a great idea. Love the look on their little faces as they hold up their finished products. Don't you wish they could stay that age for a while longer?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sewing is a wonderful skill to have. I love spending time at my machine, although those times are fewer than I would like.
    Teaching your granddaughters to sew builds skills but more importantly, wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty pillowcases for pretty girls!
    Great first sewing job for them.
    I'm with Anneliese..can I come, I'll bring my own fabric?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a good idea...learning to sew by making a pillow case. They all look very pleased with their efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such pretty girls! I wish someone had taken the time to show me how to sew when I was their age. All I can manage now is to sew a lose button back on :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I'm coming out for a lesson on sewing..actually to be honest...I prefer playing tennis.
    But I know those girls will never forget their time sewing with you..and to include the neighbor girls at the same time...It's summed up in one word. Generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now thats a craft a girl could use. I bet they put them on their pillows straight away. They were so colourful and they learned a skill they can take them anywhere.You get a gold star. Go to the head of the class.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cute idea. I have two Granddaughters who would love to do this. Thanks so much for this post. Loved visiting your blog and will definitley be back.
    Edwina at The Picket Fence

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun way to spend an afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aren't you sweet and patient! Making a pillowcase....what a great idea. It was simple so they weren't overwhelmed and they had a finished product they could be proud of in just a couple of hours! Smart grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful neighbor. What fun for the girls. I love those pillow cases!!

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson