Sunday, December 16, 2012

 Glory to God in the Highest,
 and on Earth peace, good will toward men. 
 Luke 2:14


At my place it seemed almost peaceful last night...
as the snow fell...
and a hush fell over the land.

But a feeling of sadness prevails...
in light of the events of this week.
My heart goes out to the families who are in the midst of the horror.

In a time of deep despair...
on December 25, 1864 
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow penned the words to 
'I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day'.
They seem so appropriate today.

I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet
The words repeat
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

And in despair I bowed my head;
"There is no peace on earth," I said;
"For hate is strong,
And mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead; nor doth he sleep!
The Wrong shall fail,
The Right prevail,
With peace on earth, good-will to men!




11 comments:

  1. The Wrong shall fail,
    The Right prevail

    I pray for that, Judy. We all need to pray, not just for the ones closely touched by this tragedy, but for a country (one that I love!) that clings to its gun culture to the point where a mother - a teacher - would have three powerful guns in her house. Why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray those words you've highlighted. There is so much darkness in this world. My heart aches. Truly, for this we need, and have, a Saviour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. We had a neighborhood party last night, but the conversation kept going back to the tragedy. Our hearts all mourn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!! What unimaginable grief and sadness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy, the words to this song seem like the perfect ones to share right now, during this painful time. The picture of your lovely home certainly depicts the feeling of a warm and welcoming home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your home looks so beautiful with the pretty lights and fresh snow. Did it last long? My sister emailed me that it was snowing there (same area). That old Christmas song has such a wonderful message. Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful and so appropriate. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What moving words to that song... and so applicable to our world. Thank you, Judy .. so thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson