Friday, December 14, 2012

inside and outside decor...

It seems there is never a dull moment at this time of year.
I always intend to accomplish much more than really happens...
and that is is definitely the case this year.
Besides everything else...
I have been having major computer issues for the past three weeks...
and that has taken up huge chunks of time.
 I'm hoping we are over the worst now...
and soon I will be loving my new computer!

 

One of the few projects I completed was a ruffled  'linen' table runner...
that is plenty long enough for my table!
When one has an over-sized dining table...
most  table runners look a little too petite.
I pulled the idea from Pinterest...
and used a painters drop sheet to make the runner.
As for the 'natural' centerpiece...
it went together very quickly.
Last year I watched a floral designer create Christmas wreaths and centerpieces.
I went home and copied.
For the centerpiece...
she used a waterproof tray in the middle and taped oasis onto that.
Then the base for the entire thing is an old 'fake swag'...
shaped into the desired length.
I cut assorted greenery at the farm...
and stuck it in here and there...
using the wires from the swag to attach the greens.  
The candle sits on the oasis and I can easily stick fresh flowers in alongside.
It's plenty big...
and big is good on a big table!

As for the wreath...
I did the same thing.
I used on old fake wreath and stuck live greenery in throughout.
So simple!

One week ago...
we got our tree.
one of the red sunset maples along our driveway died.
We ordered another...
and were told we must wait until fall.


We got the call to come pick up our tree last week.
How does one plant a tree that has a 36 inch rootball...
is 18 feet tall...
and weighs a ton?
One brings in the big machinery...
and calls in a friend to help.
Ron used his digger like a fork...
and had the tree in place in no time.
We are hoping it will have leaves next spring!
I watched the goings-on from the front porch...
out of the rain.

And those are just a few of the things we have been busy with this past week.

Besides that...
we are enjoying the delights of the season.
The music...
the lights and the laughter...
the carols and the cookies...
good times with good friends.

And most of all...
we are mindful that Jesus is the reason for this season!


13 comments:

  1. Hi Judy. Your dining table centerpiece and the runner are beautiful! I'm glad you got your new maple and hope it survives and springs forth leaves in a few months. It's a busy season for us all but I am enjoying it. I wish you and your family a very blessed Christmas. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Details getting checked off steadily! Feels so good to have decorating details done; I suppose baking is coming up soon. And maybe some snow instead of rain would be good too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's never a good time for computer problems, but especially not at Christmastime. I hope your new computer solves all the problems.
    Your table runner and wreath are so pretty. I'm finding the natural touches to be very appealing this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the centrepiece tip - it's the little ideas like this that make things easy/beautiful! I love the runner - it suits your table so well.
    I imagine that if The Great Dane had been around he'd have enjoyed watching all the business of planting that tree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The runner looks beautiful on your table. And what a great idea to use a fake wreath as a base for adding clippings of real stuff. Glad to hear the computer problems are (hopefully) resolved. What would we do without our daily blog fix?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your runner looks perfect and can be used year round which is wonderful. I love your table and hope I can find a similar one for my new kitchen!

    I hope your new maple flourishes! What a beautiful drive you have coming up towards your home.

    Enjoy a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that runner Judy! Perfect for your table. Glad your computer issues are getting resolved!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your table runner and centrepiece are both beautiful!! I love your table and can't wait for ours to arrive. Perhaps I'll be inspired to make a runner too. Isn't it amazing how they can plant those big trees? We transplanted some like that a few years ago and they are all doing well. I hear you about not getting as much accomplished as one would like!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The runner turned out great!
    Computer woes are the worst! It will be good to get past them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous new runner...great ideas and fits our long family table to a tee. Natural is so beautiful. Simple, yet classy and is so inviting...I wonder what my tree will look like this year. My little boys will come help decorate....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the idea about the runner! With my new "big" table, I will need one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was just looking through my recent Pottery Barn catalog and the arrangements that you created like theirs. I am so impressed! I had to think of how many special memories were and are being made around that wooden table.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just popping in to say hi and thanks for an old post on sewing aprons that I had on my computer most of the day as I sewed a few Christmas gifts via your project instructions. Now I see that table cloth runner and I am most impressed.I might have to give that a go too. Only not this year. Your party looked amazing and great fun.

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson