Monday, December 31, 2012

the year that was...


December 31st is a good time to look back...
a do a quick review of  'the year that was'!

 
January brought snow...

 
...and a celebration of my 60th birthday.
(Many celebrations, actually!)

 
February...a sweet time with the grands.

 
March...
a road trip along the Gulf Coast of the US from Houston, Texas to Key West.

 
April...
the tulip fields nearby put on a show for us.


May...
spring harvest on the farm.

 
June...
a quick trip to Iowa to celebrate my nephew's wedding.

July...
'the girls' got together to sign a contract for a second cookbook.

Mennonite Girls Can Cook...
Celebrate!


August...
we sailed to Alaska with our kids and grands aboard the Disney Wonder.


September...
Dad turned 90.
We celebrated!


October...
warm weather, fall harvest...
and Thanksgiving.

 
November...
a trip to Palm Springs and the mountains nearby.


 December...
a drive to the snow-capped peaks just north of 'my front porch'....
and good times with family and friends as the year draws to an end.

It seems just yesterday that I stood at the threshold of 2012.
I remember being fearful of stepping into it...
and for good reason.
There are things that happened this past year...
which I was not free to share over here.
Hard things.

But as the year comes to a close...
I can say that God was faithful.
He was there...
through the valleys and the hilltops.
His mercies are new every morning.

Though I know not what tomorrow may hold...
I know He holds tomorrow!

Wishing you all a Happy New Year.

15 comments:

  1. What a grand year. Wishing you more of the same for 2013

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quote "I know not what tomorrow may hold....I know He holds tomorrow! I must keep that one because like you I am a bit fearful to step into the new year.
    May God be faithful and with you in 2013 Judy! Thanks for the way in which you share in blogdom and for your kind comments throughout this past year. I am continually inspired by MGCC and by your creativeness and sense of humour. Wishing you and yours all the very best in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post as well as a wonderful testimony to God's faithfulness.
    Our life is like a canvas......the dark paint enables the lights to shine out more beautifully. YOU, my dear, are a light in the world and reflect the Light OF the World!! Happy New Year to you and yours and thank you for sharing YOUR light with all of us!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. God IS faithful! How could we bear our lives without that knowledge?! As always Judy, I love to visit your blog. The photos you take of the places you visit provide me with "mini vacations". I'm looking forward to the new MGCC cookbook release and to reading of your adventures in 2013. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2012, with its good and its hard is almost past and as we approach 2013 we're strengthened by what we've just learned - what we've experienced.
    It is such a pleasure to come to your blog and be reminded of what's important - to laugh, sometimes - and always to leave with something good to think about.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great recap of your year. Yes there are hard times amid the good - thank you for reminding us that God walks alongside us carries us when we feel we cannot go on.
    As I spent time with the Lord this morning, I was reminded again that He alone is my strength and hope in whatever the New Year brings.
    May God Bless you in equal measure as you have blessed us through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's always fun to see the highlights of our years...I was thinking about that yesterday also...and yet, we only share the highlights, knowing that Dear God will help us through the low times. When I think January, I think of Vegas. We are so blessed to have been able to enjoy many events together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful images of 2012 Judy! Those tracks of sorrow and joy always run down the line together. Blessings in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm thanking the Lord with you that His mercies are new every morning! Through the valleys and the mountain tops ... He's been there and will continue to be. Wishing you special hugs and wonderful surprises from Him in this coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Each year has its joys and sorrows. Hard things are bearable with the Lord alongside. I hope that 2013 is full of rich blessings for you and your wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was a tough year but the sorrows were lightened by seeing continued good things shared on your blog. Every tear will be wiped away in heaven; I try to keep a mindset of joy in hard times and blogs and friends like you are a means to seeing joyful things still happening.

    So where are you and Elmer going in 2013??? You always take such great trips!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful post Judy. I have enjoyed getting to know you through your blog and maybe we'll get to meet this year when I go to my sister's for my nephew's wedding in July! I am thankful that the Lord is there walking every step of the way with me (and you) and going before us before we even know what lies ahead. Blessings to you and yours in this new year. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  13. Judy, I have seen your trust in a faithful God this year and you are teaching by example. May God bless you this year and give you peace!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I continue to learn much from you quiet, gentle, and caring spirit via blogland. In an unique way, I sure did enjoy sharing the journey of this year with you. Well written post with lots of really good pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well that was a great Readers Digest version for me! Thanks for checking in on me. You have a lovely bunch of grand babies. You are a blessed woman. Can't wait for the new cook book. I have to secretly get one for my sis this year for her b-day. Gorgeous pictures too by the way.

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson