Tuesday, October 19, 2010

free as a bird...

When Ryder comes to visit...and we go for a walk...he has a few favorite pit stops along the route.  One is to check out the chickens...

...the ones that run free!  It's one of those places where the gates are open...and there are no signs warning of 'bio-security'.  It's also a place where the chickens and roosters run at will...and where Ryder can get up close and personal.  The owners were no where to be seen the last time we stopped by...but are always friendly and welcoming. 

We enjoyed sunshine and shirtsleeves over the weekend.  We know that too will end...and so we cleaned up a few things in the garden...and packed away the patio furniture until spring.  The birds are heading south for the winter.  What a great idea! 


7 comments:

  1. Hmmm, what kind of a veiled comment is that? Are you heading south for the winter? :D

    The grands took a walk with John and me recently. I'm seriously considering a leash for the three-year old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how wonderful it is to spend time with your grandchild. They make us see things anew.

    So far, we are having day temps in the sixties and seventies and night temps in the forties. I love this weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Canadian chickens fly south for the winter too? First it was those Canada geese, then old Canadians loafing around swimming pools in Palm Springs, and now this. Where will it all end???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes heading south is a good idea. I think I'll go to Dallas...that's quite south don't you think? Looks like a fun walk with Ryder. Enjoy your freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm heading out to the garden this afternoon. ..I think I've waited long enough. The birds are getting very quiet out there. ..it must be time to pack it all away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our younger son raises chickens. His son, or 3 year old grandson, terrorizes them one minute, feds them the next! :-) He and a rooster had a stand off one day...now they have a healthy respect for one another! ha! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was a little girl I loved to chase after my grandmother's chickens!

    Our garden clean up is this weekend...the weather won't stay nice for much longer.

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson