Friday, February 11, 2011

Kenya...in the shade of the acacia tree

Kenya...is a country in East Africa. Lying along the Indian Ocean to its southeast and at the equator...it is bordered by Somalia to the northeast, Ethiopia to the north, Sudan to the northwest, Uganda to the west and Tanzania to the south. It has a land area of 580,000 km2 (about 2/3 the size of British Columbia) and a population of 39 million.  Hmmm.  The population of Canada is about 34 million.  Now we know why the streets seemed very congested!  We spent the majority of our time in and around Nairobi...the capital city.

Though there are many tales waiting to be told of our time in Kenya...I will begin by leaving you with just a few images today.


The acacia tree is the national tree of Kenya...and a well known symbol.  It is sometimes called an 'umbrella tree' and thrives in arid conditions. Dotting the landscape of the Masai Mara...it is used by the natives for decorations, weapons, tools and in some medicines.


Another tree common to Kenya is the sausage tree...so called because of the large sausage shaped fruits hanging from the branches.

While on safari we were on the lookout for the Big Five...and not paying much attention to the birds that were in abundance.  From guinea fowl and ostrich...

...to song birds of every stripe and colour


...Kenya is a birder's paradise.
 

The reptiles seem to thrive as well...though they aren't always that easy to spot.
  
 As for the flora...amazing!  Many of the blooms were unlike anything I had seen before.  Colour abounds!


  And so begins our safari ('the journey') into Kenya.

Have wonderful weekend...

18 comments:

  1. What a wonderful opportunity to see so many different things. The flowers are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those flowers are incredible. What a beautiful mosaic you created with them. I know very little of Kenya or the continent of Africa so this is going to be an education for me. The acacia tree...now that I have heard of...I think it must be from reading about Africa...perhaps just reading "Out of Africa." ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy. .the travel to kenya with you will be so interesting. I think I have a very narrow view of Africa being all very dry. . especially at the equator but already I can see I'll learn much.
    I knew they had acacia trees but I was surprised to see bouganvailia in the last picture. I wonder if it is native to that area?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful...looking forward to what lies ahead. I remember the acacia trees....and your pictures of the flowers and birds...you've brought us home a good taste of your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know so little about Africa. My mind's image is of a dry and barren place, but I think that I am about to learn something different from your posts. The flowers and birds are so beautiful!...and I'd never before seen an acacia tree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What pretty birds and flowers!
    Oh I am so looking forward to the rest of the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I clicked to enlarge the flower collage .. wow...it does not look like a barren wilerness at all! And about the sausage tree... I have to giggle.. we have a pine tree that sheds soft cone like things that we call sausages ...thought we were the only ones with a sausage tree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful images Judy. The birds are terrific. The bougainvillea reminds me of Camarillo. It's the official flower of the city.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The flowers look so vibrant in Kenya! It must have felt so exotic and exciting to see so much that was new.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing pictures...and amazing to think you were really there!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Exquisite photos of a beautiful place! Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I can't wait to see more pictures. I brought my Kenya album out the other day. I will be comparing notes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The landscape changes drastically. We've all seen movies..about Africa..but this is fun to see your images.
    Sometimes it's hard to believe that "In the Beginning God created heaven and earth"...we think of only Canada.
    I'm glad you've had the opportunity to see the beauty beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Your photography is quite impressive! I do look forward to seeing more, since my only thoughts of Kenya is the missionary slide presentations I saw as a child at our church. The flowers, foliage, and birds are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great collection of Kenya's natural treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The birds and the flowers.. how very beautiful! and the trees and the landscape -
    It must have been sensory overload sometimes seeing soo many 'new' things at once!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can't wait to hear more! I'm surprised that all of the flowers are a familiar sight to me - we have all of them here too (as far as I can tell)...and a few of the same birds too. I know some species have come from Africa (Ibis for one), introduced here for one reason or another, and multiply until they are known more as pests than anything else...as for the Big 5? Crocs are enough of a worry ;)

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson