Wednesday, October 17, 2007

apple pancakes

It's apple season and I love apple baked goods. I was planning to share an apple torte recipe, but since we had apple pancakes yesterday, I'll pass that one along instead.

We are so fortunate to have a brother-in-law who has an apple orchard in the Okanagan and is so generous with his apples. I'm not always sure what variety they are...but these are mostly Gala's. I couldn't resist picking up a few of these massive Honeycrisp apples at the produce market yesterday...they are crisp, juicy, sweet and taste like the old-fashioned apples that grew on our farm when I was a kid.


Here's an apple-iscious recipe for a cool & crisp fall day. It's one of my old favorites and I have no idea where it originated...something I clipped out of the 'Country Life' paper once upon a time, I think.

Apple Pancakes:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 cup coarsely grated apple
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 Tablespoon butter, melted
  1. Mix dry ingredients.
  2. Stir in apple.
  3. Combine eggs, milk and butter;
  4. add dry ingredients and stir until combined.
  5. Pour small amounts onto lightly greased hot griddle
  6. and cook until bubbles form on the surface;
  7. turn and brown on the other side.
  8. Serve with hot apple cinnamon sauce and whipped cream.

Hot Apple Cinnamon Sauce:
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup apple juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 cup grated apple
  • 1/4 cup butter
  1. Combine sugar, juice, and cinnamon and boil to a heavy syrup over medium heat (about 5 minutes).
  2. Stir in butter and apple...cook another minute or so.
Serve with whipped cream..and some sautéed Mennonite farmer sausage, and call it a meal! (I even found a few raspberries out in the garden yet...surprising since it is getting on in October!)
I often do half the recipe if it's just for the two of us. But I got a little carried away here, and did the whole batch. So I ate way too much & I'll have to think of 101 ways to serve day-old apple pancakes.

5 comments:

  1. pass a napkin, my mouth is watering.

    Judy, those apples even look crunchy.
    Thank you for the yummy pictures and recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this sounds delicious. I love apples. Gala's are good but I prefer Granny Smith apples. I am going to have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy. I'll make you a deal.I will work in your pantry and you feed me hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just snagged it, called it Judy's Apple Pancakes, and I'm making some for breakfast! I'll report back. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They were delicious, Judy! I haven't tried the topping yet, but I will one day soon. Had that Patti Page maple syrup to try so we went that route. Would you believe that there's a little music clip in the cap and she sang us a tune when the bottle was opened? :)

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson