Tuesday, October 16, 2007

hydrangea happiness

It's time for the last hurrah for the hydrangeas! They are still putting on a beautiful display, when most of the summer flowers are looking really tired.

I love hydrangeas...my favorite flower, I think. I'm told you should surround yourself with things you love...that make you smile...maybe that's why I have hydrangeas in nearly every room.

Here's a bunch of dried hydrangeas that have been hanging around for a few years...along with a some other things that have been around for awhile.

We planted a hydrangea hedge last year, so I will always have a plentiful supply and a ready hostess gift when we're invited out...a bouquet of hydrangeas in an Ikea vase (I have a stockpile of those that were on for $1.50 each at the time).

They are the perfect flower for me. I put them in a vase with water and two months later, they still look great! The water is long gone, and they have dried beautifully. I keep them through the winter and next year I start over.


Here's my very favorite one...Limelight Hydrangea. It opens up a creamy, lime colour and by this time of the year it's pink.

No need for bows around here...from June until December I can find a shade of hydrangea to match any gift.
This is one of my lacecap hydrangeas...


And even the foliage is looking bright and cheerful these days.

So I just thought I'd share my favorite blooms with you today...'cuz they make me smile.

And here's a bouquet for Vee who gave me the 'You Make Me Smile' award today. Thank-you, my blogging friend! I have no idea where I found you, but I'm going to keep you.

And to each of you who have stopped by for a visit, cut a few hydrangeas to take home...and be sure to come visit again.

6 comments:

  1. They are very pretty. I was told if I clip mine they wont make next year? What do you say?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If they are pink or blue (the common mophead hydrangeas) you can't do a whole lot of pruning, or they won't bloom next year. If they are some shade of white (like Annabelle or Limelight) you can cut them back because they bloom on new growth. The new 'endless summer' varieties can be pruned anytime also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since when can you put them in a vase with water? I have blue ones and they only seem to last one or two days. What's the secret? They are gorgeous. Now you have me wondering...I think I have some on my back yard....Hm...I am going to try to put them in a vase and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your pictures of Limelight. It too is my favorite Hydrangea. So easy to grow and always puts on a show.

    I have dound that if you let the hydrangea blooms age a bit on the plant the flowers become a bit more leathery and dry very well. Fresh young flowers do not dry well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Growing up my mother always had hydrangea's but I do not have one. Hey Dot........you got one to share with me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make me want to run out and buy some hydrangeas; I will someday! Such exquisite photos and such a variety of color.

    Thank you so very much for the bouquet, Judy. I don't know how I found you either, but I'm definitely keeping you, too.

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson