Brrrrr! I just watched the weather forecast and it's going to get cold...and, if you live in the prairies, VERY COLD! At any rate, it's soup weather...so I'll share one of our favorite quickie soups, that we enjoyed last week. Just add some yummy fresh bread, and call it a meal!
Cauliflower Cheese Soup
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
2. Do not drain. Mash vegetables with a potato masher.
3. Melt butter in large saucepan. Add onion and saute until limp. Do not brown.
4. Blend in flour, salt and pepper. Add milk. Heat and stir until it boils and thickens. Add cheese and stir until cheese melts.
5. Add cheese sauce to mashed cauliflower mixture.
6. Remove from heat and serve. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Notes: The grated carrot and celery are optional...I just like the added colour. (It was pouring rain when I cooked the soup, so the parsley garnish stayed in the garden!)
What I really needed this week was chicken soup! I'm off to the grocery store this morning, so maybe I'll pick up what I need to cook up a pot. I've never actually made chicken noodle soup from scratch...my mom-in-law made the best, and I got my fix there (hmmm...that's been awhile!)
Stay warm, enjoy your day...and have a bowl of soup!