Saturday, January 26, 2008

Cinnamon Loaf

Now that everything is clean (but still smelling a little smokey here and there), I'm open to suggestions for making this place smell wonderful! My favorite room fresheners are the Wallflowers made by White Barn Candle Company and sold at Bath & Bodyworks.

They come in every delicious fragrance you can imagine...and I have one in apple cinnamon and another in the coconut/ lime/verbena scent. But neither will do me much good for long...since they are pretty much empty. And they are not available in Canada...so until my next trip across the border, I will have to find something else to use!

Someone suggested setting out bowls of vinegar to 'eat' the smoke odor...but I'm thinking the vinegar itself doesn't smell too great! And I'm so afraid of fire at the moment...I'm almost scared to light candles. So if you have any great ideas...I'm open to suggestions.

In the meanwhile, I am baking a few things that smell good. I baked cinnamon loaf the 'morning after', but it got tossed along with all other unsealed food items in my pantry. So I just finished another batch...and have a pie in the oven. I am aiming for 'my grandma's kitchen on Saturday smell' (it smelled of cleanliness and fresh buns). Is it not strange how memories of smells can be so vivid?

So here is the recipe for cinnamon loaf. It's a quick bread...makes two loaves and fills every corner of your house the the smell of cinnamon!

Cinnamon Loaf
2 cups sugar
1 cup cooking oil
4 eggs
3 Tablespoons baking powder
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
Topping:
Stir together 2 rounded Tablespoons sugar
and 2 teaspoons cinnamon.


Mix together sugar and oil on low speed. Beat in eggs...one at a time. Stir together dry ingredients and add alternately with milk.

Spray two loaf pans with Pam and layer batter sprinkled with topping. (Cover bottom with batter and sprinkle with topping...repeat and then cover with batter.)

Bake at 350' F for 45-55 minutes.

Enjoy the aroma!


7 comments:

  1. Oh Judy, I love the smell of fresh buns, you are right to try that.
    I have one of those bath and body works in my washroom. I'm not sure anymore what scent it is but it is wonderful.
    Enjoy that cinnamon loaf and fresh buns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I sometimes do is put some water with citrus peels (you can use only orange, lemon, or grapefruit or you can mix them), cinnamon sticks, and whole cloves in a saucepan, bring it to a boil and then just let it simmer all day. Remember to check it every so often and add more water if necessary. I would guess that you can do the same with whatever fruit, herbs and spices you prefer but I have never experimented with others because cinnamon-orange is wonderful! This doesn't make a strong smell, just a nice fragrance. A big bowl of oranges studded with cloves will also smell good. Mix other fruit into the bowl and you'll have your daily dose of vitamins close at hand. You also have lots of cedar around the area so why not bring in some boughs to do more than decorate. You could revert to "back-in-the-days" and burn incense! It makes a little mess but I'm sure you can find something nonflammable to catch the ashes. Good luck! If postage wasn't so expensive I'd mail you some Bath and Body Works plug-ins! They had a special on them just a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's my suggestion...Pier 1 has many reed diffusers (so no issue with fire) in various scents. They were on sale before Christmas so I bought several. I'd bring you one but I've given them all away already except one that is filling our main floor with a wonderful cinnamon scent. Another favorite scent is "Citrus Cilandro". If you want the cinnamon smell, come on over & I'll give you mine (it's about half used up) and go buy myself the citrus cilandro one. I'm ready for a change anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, you continue to amaze me, when I read yesterday and today's blog I thought of Marry Poppins. (Kim said, Marry Poppins on Crack!)
    Supercalifragilistcexpialidocious.
    Nothing can knock you down and we are so glad about that. You are funny, energetic, enthusiastic,
    innovative, and above all a godly woman. Thank you for for being so transparent during a yucky time.
    Blessing. Martha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've used ground coffee in old suitcases to absorb bad smells, but I don't know that it would work in an open home. (BTW, I love those Bath&Bodyworks scents, too. I have one in the stairwell and I just love it every night as I'm climbing up to bed.) I like your baking ideas...nothing smells much better than Grandmother's kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can understand your fear of fire...
    Yesterday I dashed off to a game and was so scared that I wouldn't turn off the element.
    I have made you a pot of spaghetti and fresh health buns.
    What evening would suit you next week?
    You have really recovered well, but the fire instinct will probably be a warning sign forever....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anything baking with cinnamon or buns should make your house smell divine..keep baking till the smoke smell is gone! If you can't eat it all I'm sure you will have many takers!

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson