Saturday, January 19, 2008

old is good!

As I cleaned out my pantry and kitchen cupboards this week, I was noticing all the old things I have hanging around my kitchen that I'm just not ready to part with! In fact, I think I've kept them long enough that they are now collector items. The thing is...I still use them.

This electric frying pan was a wedding gift from my husband's grandparents...and every so often I still pull it out! It looks a little worse for the wear, but works just fine!

My favorite little hand mixer was another wedding gift (we're talking circa 1971)...a Hamilton Beach model that I love. And I still store it in the original box...which is looking very ratty! I use my Bosch machine for all the big jobs, but this little mixer still gets used. Oh yes, it was given to us by my uncle and aunt who live in Florida...so I think of them on occasion when I use it. I'm sure they don't make appliances to last that long anymore! My original steam iron (in avocado green) and electric kettle are also still doing just fine, although I have replaced them with products that look a little more like they belong to this century.

These Pyrex nesting bowls and storage containers are also still in my cupboard (intact after all these years)...and I actually use them. They get a little warm in the microwave, so I'm not sure they should go there. Vintage Pyrex sets are actually collector items...but mine wouldn't be in high demand, since they have been in and out of the dishwasher on a regular basis and are looking somewhat faded. They work for me...along with all kinds of other old dishes that I love.

All that to tell you that old things have value....I have to keep telling myself that today.


Thanks for the lovely card, Kathy!

7 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY JUDY!!
    We know too much about these dates don't we?
    You look pretty good to me and I think of you as young as ever...

    Have a great day and I'll catch up with you later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Judy. Oh goodness, your post is perfect. The absolute truth is that age doesn't matter when it comes to usefulness eh? I love that every year we learn new things and others still love the way we are after all these years.
    With all that is in your heart this year Judy, I pray that you will sense the Lord very near and that you will continue to be a blessing to others.

    Hugs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Judy...a great post! I love "old things" (myself included..lol). I still enjoy some old dishes and other things that we got as wedding gifts 40+ years ago. Those were made to last..
    Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I planned to get to your blog early and post a "Happy Birthday" anonymously in the comments - but you pre-empted me and announced it yourself! Well done (for someone who is ALMOST as old as I am!)! I, too, have some old treasures around the house. Which reminds me it's time to go clean the closets. Have a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy, happy birthday! I can't believe that I forgot it! You are not old, my dear, you are eternal. Yup, just like all the saints.

    I recognize some of those dishes. Wish that my mixer was still working. It was all done in after about five years. It must be because I married four years after you and, by that time, they just weren't making things the way that they used to. :>

    Gotta love those 70s colors, too. Have you noticed that they're making a comeback in some circles. (Not mine, but some.)

    Hope that you'll fill us in on the festivities. Who's baking the cake?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pray for you a birthday prayer that God will fill all your days with love, blessings, and the happiness you so deeply deserve.
    HAVE A WONDERFUL BIRTHDAY JUDY.
    love you, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Judy! This is a wonderful post, and all those items you are sharing with us look like familiar old friends to me...hope your day was full of love and laughter.

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson