Friday, July 6, 2012

fondly remembered...

I met her in the eighth grade and we became friends through high school.  With her twinkling blue eyes, ready smile, and easy laugh...she was easy to like.  Schoolwork didn't seem much of a challenge for her...and she was always at the top of the class.  And if anyone could make playing piano look easy...it was Elvie. 


After high school...we both attended the same Bible College for a year.  Soon after, Elvie was the organist at our wedding.  Life happened...and we went our separate ways.  Over the next four decades our paths never crossed.  Until eighteen months ago.  Through mutual friends, I heard that Elvie was terminally ill...struggling with an aggressive form of  Lou Gehrig's disease.  We made arrangements to meet with her, a few of us high school friends...while she was still able to talk. 


 Elvie ~ centre front
 
And talk we did...and laugh and cry!  It was a wonderful time...and a sad time as well.  The days, weeks and months since that meeting have been most difficult for Elvie and her family.  Last week she passed on...and is now safely in the arms of her heavenly Father.  She is making beautiful music with the angels...and she is no longer suffering.  I was sorry to miss her memorial service which was held on Monday...while I was away on a family camping trip. My heart goes out to her family and those closest to her.  Though words will not take away the pain...may the love and prayers of many friends help ease the sorrow.


So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10 

I was reminded again that time slips through our fingers like sand...and we have no guarantees about tomorrow.  We have today.  Let's make the most of it. 

26 comments:

  1. Precious and beautiful lady. How sweet to know that she is safely home.

    When we get to a certain age and begin losing our friends our age, this strange concept of mortality takes hold in earnest.

    I'm planning to enjoy my day. I know that you'll do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice tribute to your friend. We truely MUST appreciate and enjoy each day the Lord has given us. Life is short. Thanks for this reminder and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, My sympathy at the loss of your friend. I'm so glad that you and others were able to spend time with her when you did. I know it meant so much to her (and to the rest of you). Thank you for sharing your lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful tribute Judy. Thanks for the reminder that life is fleeting and we need to make the most of today...

    ReplyDelete
  5. How good that you and your friends could get together for reminiscences and laughter while they were still possible. That was a lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Friendship is a true gift of God, and you can never have too many friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry for your loss, I know if she was a friend of your's she was a beautiful person, inside and out! Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know Elvie but she was a friend of my sister. I have only heard good things of her - that she was strong and courageous, funny and an amazing friend. Although you may have missed out on a few years of her adult life, you will have eternity to enjoy her friendship again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are the times you remember good memories you've made. So glad you were able to get together. Elvie sounds like a wonderful person.

    Life is so short and fragile. Each day is a gift from God's hand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How good you and your friends connected with her before her death; that must have been a lovely change for her, to see friends from the past. It is sad she is gone and I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet post. So glad you had the opportunity to spend time with your friend. I know that was a special blessing for her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry for your loss Judy. I'm glad you got to spend time with her. A lovely tribute to her. Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  13. Judy, Prayers for all who will miss her and loved her. Sometimes our friends pass on far too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am sorry for your loss, Judy. How nice that you were able to visit Elvie when you did.
    Your last sentence is so true and a good reminder for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful post Judy. I am so glad you all got to spend some time together and how wonderful to know that Elvie is now with her heavenly Father.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I only met her a couple of times, and that was after she was diagnosed with ALS already ... but her smile could light up a room!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend, Judy! She sounds like a beautiful person both inside and out and I'm sure she will be dearly missed by all who knew her.

    A good friend of mine had surgery for advanced ovarian caner s few months ago and we all have been helping her though weekly chemo. It is also a reminder that each day is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful post Judy! I thought so much of her parents that day. Her parents are such dear people and this must be so difficult for them...and yet as I know them...they have great hope of seeing her again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are right Judy -We should treasure each moment and welcome each new day. Today we visited a friend in hospital and received a call 3 hours later to say he had passed away. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend at such a young age.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It was an honor to be part of her friendship group as young girls through Sunday School, youth, and later in Bible School.
    I brought you a souvenir of her funeral....

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a special gift that you had time to spend with Elvie and friends. I can't imagine the blessing that was for her and for all of you. She must have thought of that many times afterwards. Heaven will be such a wonderful reunion. Thanks for sharing the reflections from your heart, in the last section.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So beautiful and so sad. A reminder that must treasure each and every day...xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  23. So sorry to hear of the loss of your dear friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks so much for such a lovely tribute to my dear sister. She was such a gracious sister, never complaining during these last two years while struggling with the very awful disease of ALS. I will miss her a lot, but know I will be reunited again one day.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is my first time on your blog, but you have brought tears to my eyes. It was meant to be that you met up again. Of that I am certain.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for posting this tribute for your friend and talking about the wonderful person she was. It brought me back to my childhood memories of when we lived in the same neighborhood as her family for about a year....and play, play, play we did! I was so sorry to hear of her suffering in these last years.

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson