Thursday, November 25, 2010

a blast from the past...

Rosedale...a picturesque little farming community with a nice name.  It happens to be where we once lived...where our children spent their early years and attended school.  It had one general store in those days...a service station and one restaurant, called Lee's.  We ate at Lee's with our family a few times...the last time being in the middle of a winter blizzard when our power went off and the water supply to our house froze.  We went of necessity that day...some twenty-five years ago.  Meanwhile we moved to our present location, and though Rosedale is not far away...we would never think of it as a dining destination.

I drove through Rosedale not long ago...and realized that Lee's was still in business, looking virtually unchanged.  I wondered if it was still the same inside...with it's somewhat sloping floors and all.  

We got a flyer in our mailbox several weeks ago...a photocopy of a handwritten menu from Lee's Restaurant.  Most flyers don't get a second glance at our place...but 'handwritten' caught my attention.  I actually read the menu...and had a hankering for Chinese food...and decided we might just go back to our old haunt and check it out.  We did just that last night.


It was rather like stepping back in time.  I'm sure the floors are still sloping...but as long as you don't spill...it won't bother you!

It was clean, cozy and the perfect place to be on a chilly winter evening.


There's nothing like wonton soup to warm you through and through....followed by dinner for four.


We found some friends to join us for our dining adventure...friends who once lived in the same community and frequented the same diner with their family back in the day.  So we had a good time reminiscing...

...and enjoying a little blast from the past.  And guess what...we plan to return...one day soon. 

Though we celebrated Thanksgiving here some time ago...I would just like to wish all my American family and friends a most wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving Day!  My thoughts are with you...

13 comments:

  1. Hey, I recognize that place. I wonder why? We also frequented that place many times while we were living in down town Rosedale.
    It looks like the perfect spot to set up shop.
    Hm...I need to try that out again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun to go abck now and again, and how nice that you weren't disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun evening with friends - and delicious Chinese food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That soup looks real good! Glad you stepped back in time! Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is often the places that don't look "done up" that have the best food. I love the handwritten menu!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The food looks delicious.
    "A blast from the past" was a good experience!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Should get my folks to take me there when next I'm in the area. Love it when a restaurant is clean! Somehow, to me, the food tastes better, lol. Delicious looking menu!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - I go away for a few days and you change the look of your page!
    I recognize that place - maybe someday I'll go there to eat, now that I know what it's like inside!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like my kind of restaurant...cozy, clean, and good food. In a world that is rapidly changing, it is so good to find a place that has not changed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The food looks so good, Judy! I like won ton soup too! It's nice to find an old favorite can become a new favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Judy, we have lunch here every now and again as it's just a hop and a skip from our place. However, don't wait too long to go again. My son saw it in the newspaper under the real estate listings. I'm sure the Lees are looking forward to a well deserved retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll never forget that snowy day trip to Lee's. I remember getting the feeling like you and dad weren't too excited about frozen pipes and what not, but being quite sure that dinner at Lees (I had grilled cheese) would cheer you up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great little place. And what great looking soup!

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson