Thursday, November 4, 2010

Fairhaven

At long last...I have visited Fairhaven.  Though it lies less than hour from my home...it somehow evaded my radar screen until recently. 


Fairhaven is a picturesque little village on the sea...a historical suburb of Bellingham, Washington.  It was founded in the 1883...and was to be the western terminus for the new northern railroad. But that distinction went to Seattle a few years later, and the brick and wood buildings that had already been constructed sat vacant or unfinished for decades. 

It wasn't until the sixties and seventies that the community went through a transformation... and became known as an area rich in history and the arts. 

The streets are lined with dozens of shops and restaurants that draw both locals and visitors.

What once was a bank...is now a wonderful little shop called 'Three French Hens'.

I think I missed the French hens...but found lots of other fun things inside.  I took a picture of a girl's apron...just in case I ever need a pattern!

Though Fairhaven never became a terminus for the Great Northern Railroad...there is now a busy Amtrak station in Fairhaven.  And down at the docks is a cruise ship terminal and ferry terminal. 

Before leaving town...we checked out the Mexican food at a little cantina with a view of a tree-lined streets below.  It was all good!  

We had a fine time exploring on a lovely fall Sunday a few weeks back...and one day we will return...with bikes. And our passports, of course!     


16 comments:

  1. Now I'm curious - I'll have to find it on Google maps. I've never even heard of it but it sounds like a wonderful place to spend the day. I can just imagine the row of little aprons there will be waiting for your little granddaughters to come and help you do some baking. Have fun Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a charming spot and that apron is just plain stinkin' cute! The true test is this: would you want to visit again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it a lovely little town! We just recently discovered it as well, and hope to get back soon to explore it properly. That apron - another friend of ours also took a picture when she visited, and wants to make it together for her granddaughter. Funny how one thing will catch the eye of various folks. Blessings, Peg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it a lovely little town! We just recently discovered it as well, and hope to get back soon to explore it properly. That apron - another friend of ours also took a picture when she visited, and wants to make it together for her granddaughter. Funny how one thing will catch the eye of various folks. Blessings, Peg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos. It's been awhile since we've been to Fairhaven.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel as though I've just been on another trip Judy. Thanks so much for including these wonderful pictures of a beautiful place in time.
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh isn't it a lovely little town to visit? It looks like you picked the perfect weather for a walk about.
    The little shops are so fun to poke around in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Judy, you do the best tourism adds!It's a nice little visit even just on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fairhaven looks like a very pretty little town, Judy. It's wonderful they were able to revitalize themselves through history and the arts.

    I love to browse in stores like the one you showed us! I'm sure that pretty apron commanded a high price..lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't it fun to explore someplace new? Especially so close at hand. I've not been to Fairhaven yet, but it sounds charming. And what a great name for a shop - Three French Hens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved exploring Fairhaven this summer with my family! It's so pretty there with so much neat architecture and cool shops, etc. We had cupcakes at Katie's Cupcakes, and I took pictures of a salon that has the same name as mine. It was a lot of fun. I'd love to go back and stay longer sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely place. Can't wait to hear where you are cruising to!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How funny...I know how much you travel, and this place was right under your nose all this time? I'm starting to think all you BC ladies need to get out of the kitchen, and to a book store to buy a tour guide to BC and surrounding areas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Who would thought that I would ever find myself wishing to visit a place on the map called "Fairhaven". The pictures and the commentary made me wish to catch the next flight out, especially the gift shop in the historic bank. Thanks for sharing your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you took the time to go to Fairhaven Judy - My sister and I loved it when we visited. I'm the one "Peg" was referring to. I just loved that apron and had to take a picture so I could make one like it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a good travel tip! The Great Dane and will head down that way in the first week of December and it's always nice to know of a new little place to visit.

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson