Tuesday, November 23, 2010

oh shoot...

As a cold Arctic front pushed through the valley yesterday...the winds howled and the temperatures plummeted.  Everyone looked for an excuse to stay indoors...where it was warm and cozy and the coffee was brewing.  Or so I thought.

I looked out the kitchen window...and couldn't believe my eyes.  There were sport hunters out in our field...not of necessity but by choice.  Seemingly oblivious to the cold...they crouched...they shot...they gathered the game. 

I have no idea who these die-hard hunting enthusiasts are...but we have granted permission to several parties to hunt on our property.  The flocks of geese and ducks have taken a liking to our fields...and we are hoping a little hunting now and again will cause them to take up residence elsewhere.  Though a flock of waterfowl around a pond look quite lovely...they cause a lot of damage to our crops...and so we like to discourage them from putting down roots.

As I did my shooting with my Canon...from the comfort of my kitchen...I had to wonder what kind of dedication it must take to go hunting 'just for fun' on a day like yesterday!

11 comments:

  1. You captured the outside temperature in your photos beautifully! Maybe they were getting their Thanksgiving dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that maybe you would of brought them some coffee and cookies and asked them to sit on your Front Porch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boy would do that in a heartbeat! I've got another Menno story to tell him now :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like something our sone would do - when there's game to be got, he's doing the getting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smiled at your topic..how appropriate:) Yep there are some 'diehard' hunters out there. You got some great pics, Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shooting with the Cannon from the warm indoors sounds like a much better idea. Hunting has not caught on in our family, but I know it's quite the sport for some to get meat into their freezers. I think I'd prefer the fowl to the four footed creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're dressed warmly! Hope that it works...the sending the message to move along. I can only imagine how much damage such waterfowl do to the crops. Not good. Stay warm and cozy in your beautiful abode. Do you buy Tim Horton's coffee to brew at home? I never have, but I'm giving it some serious thought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would prefer your method of shooting ... with the Canon, but I hope they are helpful with your waterfowl problems.
    I'm amazed at your snowfall. I'm still trying to adjust to fall color after seeing palm trees for the last few weeks :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice photos. I am glad to hear you were safe indoors when you shot them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will take the warm kitchen and hot coffee anyday, although I do know personally, some that would be out in the fields. Your mosaic says it all. If they hunt on your property, do they share their bounty with you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are dramatic photos, Judy! I hope they always point their rifles away from your home!

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson