Wednesday, September 3, 2008

back-to-school

That's it...summer is officially over! The school buses are crawling along our country roads several times a day...and those carefree days of playing in the hayloft and riding the ATV around the yard are over for Emme and Spencer.


Yesterday marked their first day in the second grade...they don't actually look too sad about it! They are back at the same school where I was for grade two...how special is that? It seems to me the teachers are all much younger than they were back in those days...and they no longer ring the 'cow bell' to signal the end of classes. But many things remain the same...even the smell.

The girls were happy to see their good friend...same grade, same age, but not quite the same size. And Ryder got to go along for the ride on the first day of school. He has no idea how much he will miss having his sisters at home...although he will like having Grammy to himself on occasion.

His sisters never seem too excited about going to watch the trucks from the freeway overpass...


...or sitting in the motorhome while Ryder drives, so maybe there will be more time for his special interests while they are in school.

I'm always a little reluctant to say good-bye to summer...but when school starts, we turn the page. And there may not be prayer in school these days...but this Grammy will start the school days with prayer for two special girls who are back-to-school!

12 comments:

  1. It occured to me this morning that I'm developing an affection for your grandkids. They make me laugh, and I love that little Ryder. I think if my lil' farm hand was a bit older they'd see eye to eye pretty good. I stand in the front yard for ages while his head whips back and forth to see the dump trucks going back .. .and he already likes to sit and drive too.
    Anyways, this post warmed my heart and I love love love your new header .. .just perfect for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Judy..I always pray an extra prayer for my g'kids as they head off to school, my youngest now in high school.
    Ryder will miss his sisters but hey he now has Grammy to himself!
    I'm off to the country..

    ReplyDelete
  3. My oldest grandson will start kindergarten next week, and already I am feeling excited for him! A whole new world awaits him as he will be gone from home on the school bus,twice a week for the next months. I'm sure his brother will be missing him, and "Grammy" lives too far away to pop over. Dairymary

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a heart felt post....one can never pray to much. i pray that all the children in school, will be pretected, physically, emotionall, and spiritually. we live in a scary world...but with a midful eye and prayerful heart we can still enjoy all the goodness it has to offer. lucky little guy, gets you all to himself, i love your pictures.....i love the way you love your family, a wonderufl example to us all.
    my kids are all older but the enjoyed going to oma and opa for lunch for years already once a week. They live close enough for them to walk from all three schools. what a blessing that is...today is the first day of school and the first day for lunch at oma's, i wonder what she will make?=}.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a good grammy. I always tell my little guy that I think of him and pray for him every day. He likes that, and I get a big ole grandmom hug.

    Have fun with your little buddy. I think my guy would like watching the cars, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful world this would be if all school children had a loving Grammy to pray for them.

    What a sweet post, Judy and those grandchildren are absolutely precious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your grandchildren are adorable, Judy! You are lucky they all live close by. Prayers for all schoolchildren as they start a new year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What precious grandkids you have! They also have a precious grammie! What a treasure to have praying grandparents. No one can ever take that privelage away from us. You so often encourage me in my role as grandma. Your journaling so often strikes a cord in my heart. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sunflower is gorgeous.
    It sort of hurts to see these kids go back to school, but when I see teachers like my daughter in the public school system, I believe they will be watched for more than we would ever know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always remember school starting for my children and me having mixed feelings about it. I also pray that all of the children have a good school year. Our Ryan is also starting second grade this year

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your grandchildren are so cute! They look so happy always and are just adorable. I'll bet they are excited to get back to school. I used to love it. It's a new beginning and we start with a clean slate. Little Ryder has such curly hair like my Avery has. Hers is so long now though that it weighs it down. He's such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are soo right, Judy! As long as their are Christian grandmothers they will NEVER get prayer out of the schools !!

    I love the pics of your grandchildren - and I love the love for grandkids that unites all grandmothers!

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson