Sunday, September 7, 2008

grandparents day....

Apparently today is grandparents day...a day set aside to honour one's grandparents. I'm thinking it is also a good day to relish the honour of being a grandparent.

Children's children are a crown to the aged...
Proverbs 17:6

Grandchildren are a delight...and they have much to teach us.

Emme and Spencer brought a friend across the fields last week to pay Grammy a visit. I was touched by the care they showed for their friend...who had an encounter with a bee as they walked across the field. Emme knew from experience the pain of bee stings...and was most empathetic. Showing compassion and caring about each other's hurts...that's what friendship is all about. Sometimes we need a reminder to look out for the needs and hurts of those around us.

They have a way of making us laugh...and reminding us what it is like to be carefree and innocent. Ryder and Ranen had no worries as they rolled about in a parking lot recently...they were trusting their parents to keep them safe. Oh to live a life that is so free of concern!

We have learned much from our four precious grandchildren...and I think being a Grammy is one of life's greatest blessings!


7 comments:

  1. They rolled around in a parking lot, eh? That's too funny!

    This Grandparents' Day thing comes as a surprise to me having never honored it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how wonderful to have a Grandparents day and what an honour and blessing it is to be one.
    I'm having the grands for supper. . .so I'll thank them properly then for giving me a special day to celebrate.

    Your grands are always a delight and I suspect they have learned much of their empathy and love from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knowing that today was Grandparent's day we are going to celebrate with our kids and grandkids pedal biking the river and bird sanctuary and then ordering pizza. Since the little princess loves dessert we will indulge in pumpkin pie with mounds of fresh whipped cream. My heart is full of praise as is yours for these children we get to hold, love and for all we learn through them. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know it was grandparents day! Happy Day Grammy and Papa! My kids are so blessed to have you in their lives. Their relationship with you is something so precious, and the memories they have already made with you will last them their lifetime. Thankyou for being outstanding, irreplacable grandparents. We love you! Broni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Judy, it is so very nice to meet you. Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to say hello. I love to meet people and love discovering new blogs. I hardly watch any tv anymore because I'm too busy reading blogs and I so enjoy it.
    I enjoyed my visit to your blog today. I'm only 41 but I cant wait until we have grandchildren. For now I just borrow a little neighbor girl a few days a week and her mom always appreciates the help and a break.
    See ya,
    Shanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy, I guess we need new calendars.
    If it's grandparents' Day, then I think we have something mixed up.
    I thought they would be inviting us over, but as you know, they all arrived at lunch to day and we have grandparents' day every Sunday.
    What an honor to share this.a

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just being with my little guy makes every day special.

    Happy Grandparent's Day. I know you are a number one grandmother.

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson