Friday, May 11, 2012

mementos from montana, mexico and more...

Almost two years ago, we took a fabulous road trip...and passed  through places we had never visited before.  One of my favorite stops was a wee town in Montana, called Philipsburg.  I just happened to run into a bloggy friend there...one who just happened to be working in a cute little gift shop that I visited.  I left The Wild Rose with a souvenir that day...a reminder not only of my visit to Philipsburg, but of the friend I met there. 


It was just a dinged-up old metal ceiling tile.  But it had potential!  It became a little 'bulletin board' in my office.  I told Knitting Mania that I would post a photo once it was hung and functioning.  So before two years have passed...here is the photo.  You will notice that two of those magnets are a little more special than the others.  That's because they arrived in the mail one day not so long ago (less than two years:)...sent to me by my blogging friend Vee, who lives in New England.  Thank-you, Vee!

Last week I had a surprise arrive via special delivery on my front porch.


Someone knew that I am rather fond of inukshuks.  They adorn my landscape...and grace the coffee mug I am drinking from at the moment.  And I have built an inukshuk here and there...as my calling card on our travels. Now I have a new little inukshuk for my collection...one made of sea glass that came from the beaches of Mexico. Thank-you, Karen...my ocean soul friend.

I like mementos that remind me of a place I have visited.  I like them even more...if they remind me of a friend! 

Have wonderful weekend!

15 comments:

  1. Well you will laugh, but I thought to myself: why does she have those nasty green magnets on her board that match nothing? Then I had a closer look! I had nearly forgotten that you had met Christina! That is a cute memo board...an old ceiling tile. Very cool. I like your new gift, too. Is he glued together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. He is held together with E-6000 glue...the glue that holds anything together!

      Delete
  2. Lovely reminders of travel and friendship - and that inukshuk is so entirely appropriate for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those reminders that you are collecting from your travels and also from our friends who grow dearer post...by post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet is that. I love that metal ceiling tin and how great that you got one of Ocean Souls Inukshuks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is an Inukshuks? The ceiling tile is a grand idea for a bulletin board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice...an inukshuk is a symbol of welcome and literally means 'friend'. They are 'little people' built by stacking rocks...a practice begun by the peoples of the Arctic.

      Delete
  6. Love your bulle"tin" board so much!!! Inukshuk is beautiful as well. I've been noticing how creative you are Judy. Have a wonderful Mother's Day Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness Judy, the ceiling tile looks wonderful. Almost brought a tear to my eye. I will miss my job at that shop this summer...trying to move on and not look back in saddness. I had 4 wonderful summers working there and purchasing new treasures for our home. So many good memories, meeting you and Susan (Schnitzel & Trout)were two of my highlights btw. Susan and I see each other every summer now (they come to Philipsburg every summer to Fish.) The owner just couldn't keep up with it, living in Missoula, 4 kids, etc. etc. I did my best to try and convince her to stay open and that I would run it for her, but no deal. Rats!!!! The town was so sad last Fall when she closed (end of September) with a HUGE sale...I almost bought everything that was left! LOL

    Thanks for sharing the photo...do come back to our little "town that could" if you're ever coming this way again.

    We have seen rocks stacked in many areas of our travels too. Love the ocean version, really "cool" looking. :)

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is something special about someone getting something for you when they see a something that reminds them of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen some of those wonderful creative items in your home and the ideas keep coming from everywhere. How wonderful to meet your blogging friends and share those wonderful memories. That's what life is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your bulletin board is very pretty! I am also the happy recipient of one of Vee's pretty magnets, Judy, and I think of her every time I see it on my refrigerator.

    The sea glass inukshuk is very pretty and unique!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who would have thought that ceiling tiles could ever look so good! What a great and useful idea! Unexpected gifts can mean so much and bless a person, and your gift certainly must have done that. The inkshuk is the prettiest one I have seen.

    Happy Mother's Day Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I am so glad you like the sea glass inukshuk! I sure had fun finally deciding what to do with all the sea glass I collected in Mexico! And I love the idea of the ceiling tile as a magnetic bulletin board too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Would a sea glass inukshuk be called a mermaid inukshuk? Seems reasonable to me!

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson