Monday, May 14, 2012

mother's day...then and now

The year was 1980.  The sun was shining...and the mother gathered her children for a photo before leaving for church that morning. 


Oh...that all seems a very long time ago.  Though I don't remember exactly what the rest of the particular day looked like...I know that we would likely have visited both moms that afternoon.  It has now been twelve years since I last visited with my mother on Mother's day.  It has also been twelve years since I visited my mom-in-law on Mother's Day.   But yesterday I picked flowers from the garden....


 ...flowers that once bloomed in my mother's garden.   And I recalled the mothers in my life...and was thankful for all they were to me.

Yesterday was Mother's Day.  The sun was shining...and we took the old '47 Monarch to church...just for fun!  And since we had no big plans for the afternoon...we packed up a picnic and headed to Silver Lake Provincial Park near Hope.  Why is it that we had never been there before?  It is just a little more than a half hour drive from here....and is listed as one of the 52 best day trips from Vancouver in the book by Jack Christie.  Slowly but surely we are visiting some of those hidden gems close to home.
 

The road to the lake follows Silverhope Creek...once one is off the main highway. 


The creek is quite swollen at this time of the year...with waterfalls joining the torrent at many points along the way.


The lake itself is a little jewel...only 7.5 miles from the town of Hope. We could not believe our good fortune when we discovered we had the the lake to ourselves.  At least for a while!  We spread out our picnic and ate in silence.


The only sounds were the birds singing...the waves lapping...and the distant rush of a waterfall across the lake.  No vehicles.  No people.  No dogs.  So peaceful!



Sometime later a boat rowed by our viewing area.



Then a family brought mom for a picnic.  It looked to me like they were having a fine time on Mother's Day!


We spent the afternoon reading...enjoying the sunshine and the scenery...and the tranquility.  Don't go to Silver Lake if you are looking for excitement...but if it is peace, quiet and the beauty of nature you are after...I'd recommend it!
 
In the evening...the kids came over to wish me a happy Mother's Day.  They brought flowers...and hugs.


Some left by car.  Others walked home across the field.  It was good day!




16 comments:

  1. Looks like a wonderful way to spend the day and end the day! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are finding some of the prettiest places to visit in your neck of the woods. I'm enjoying your sunshine this morning - walked along a pretty Chilliwack street and smelled the lilacs in the old gardens.
    I loved the 1980's photos - didn't we have great hair!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silver Lake is the place we used to take John's first mother. Yes, those are gems, so close and yet so peaceful when trying to find some tranquility.
    We have the best worlds and my picnic was spent on the oceans banks in a city that has high energy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just knew I could count on you to have seen something new and wonderful. We will take your heed and go find it one of these days. I wonder if there would have been enough in your picnic for two more?

    I loved looking at the flowers on my yard that migrated from my mom's garden too. So special to those extra connections.

    Glad you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a glorious find that was, Judy! You'd never been there? This is making me wonder what I may be missing in my own corner. Love that photo of the family walking home across the fields.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had a lovely day spent remembering your mothers in the peace and quiet of the countryside. Did you wonder if they had ever been to the hidden gem you found yesterday? I remember the picnics that so excited my mother and grandmother. It was a different world when we grew up and picnics with the family were affordable and filled with adventure. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Belated Mothers Day...beautiful heritage flowers and memories! And what a great place for a picnic on a fabulous sun shiny day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sweet picture! And what a lovely place to celebrate Mother's Day. Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds (and looks) like a lovely way to spend Mother's Day.
    The 1980s photo is precious and the flowers are such a nice way to remember the special moms in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Judy - your pictures are stunning. I love the flowers that came from your mother's gardens...I have some from my mom's and mom-in-law's gardens too and I treasure them! You found the most beautiful spot to picnic that one can only imagine - Wow! Love your 80's picture - great looking family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We live in such a beautiful part of the world - and you are right, there are so many hidden places to explore. Silver Lake looks like a wonderfully peaceful place to spend a sunny day.

    How sweet to have flowers from your mother's garden. And the photo of you with your children reminds me of a similar one I have somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hasn't God blessed you with an arch of lovely Mothers Day memories, beginning in the past and continuing to now?

    You do amaze me with how your have trotted around the globe but neglected to explore the beauty just down your road. Well, perhaps it is wise to save some local exploring for a time when far flung travel become too challenging. The lake looks like s beautiful place to spend a lazy day with a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a perfect day to me! You are so lucky to have gems like this place on your doorstep, just waiting for you to discover.

    Hey, I had that 80s hairdo, too! That was a great era for hair!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It does look like you had a wonderful Mother's day, Judy! Mine was also a quiet day and I was also missing my Mom very much. I planted flowers in my garden and thought of her and how much she loved her garden. We will keep them in our hearts ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. That photo of you with the kids after church.. that could have been me. How often did we do that? Beautiful picnic site!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband and I both were reading this post and were a tad bit jealous that you and your husband would be in a park with such pristine beauty and quiet. Time to be still, to read, and to enjoy each other, surrounded by mountains. I don't know how I missed this post before, but sure did enjoy seeing it this evening. Love the top picture. I know a girl who had hair just like that:)

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson