Monday, June 25, 2012

independence...

Independence, Iowa.


That is where we stayed while we were there.  It is situated in the northeast corner of the state...along the east bank of the Wapsipinicon River.


It was founded in 1847 and is in the center of Buchanan county.  The town is now a collection of historic buildings along with those that have been added more recently.  We quite enjoyed a glimpse into the past of this historic town.  What amazed me was that buildings were left unlocked (churches, museums, etc.)...and those antique suitcases sitting on the old wagon next to the tracks...were just begging to be taken home.  They must be an honest lot...out there in Iowa!


On Main Street, on the west bank of the Wapsipinicon, is a six-story grist mill that was built in 1867. The  Wapsipinicon Mill, was a source of electrical energy from 1915 to 1940. Some structural restoration occurred in recent years, and the mill now functions partly as an historical museum.  It was actually closed to the public while we were there (due to renovations) but the guys found a friendly local who let them in for a tour. 


A log teetered on the brink...and was still teetering when we left.  How long?



Our trip back in time at the old Independence school house brought back a few memories!  Though I don't recall ink wells and fountain pens...or dunce caps and wood stoves in the classroom...I still remember school desks that looked much like that. 


The Independence Mental Health Institute was built in 1873...in a park-like setting.   It was built at a cost of $845,000 and took 10 years to complete. The walls of the main building are made up of stone taken from the quarries nearby, while the foundation is of prairie granite. A beautiful building...with a dark and gruesome history!  It has been well-maintained and is still in use today, though part of the building now serves as a museum.

Tomorrow I'll take you for a country tour...one that includes barns and gardens and the people who live there.


Did you know that in Iowa even the barns have quilts?  That was the first I knew of barn quilts...though apparently they are an old tradition revived. 

16 comments:

  1. Looks like a neat place to visit. Loved the old school house. Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intrigued with the barn quilts. Very cool. Looks like it was very warm...
    Great photos Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty town - and what a difficult name to figure out! I'd love to take a drive to see the barn quilts and the museums. I, too, remember those desks, and we did have ink wells and cork-handled fountain pens when I learned to write. No ball point for us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos! Just the other day I told my husband that we should tour the mill at Independence sometime. When my kids were in high school I attended cross-country meets on the Mental Health Institute grounds...a beautiful place. I did not know it had a museum. Didn't know about the schoolhouse either. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many interesting things in that little town. Did schools really have dunce caps? I've wondered. So sad if they did. I love the barn quilts. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful state! I wish we had time to stop into Independence on our drive west to Colorado this summer. I loved seeing the one room school house as I imagine the school my parents attended looked very much the same. I've seen some pretty "barn quilts" in Pennsylvania in Amish country. They also paint "hex sign" designs on their barns. It is nice to see honesty still exists..no one would dare leave a door unlocked where I live!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous pictures and tour of a pretty place! I am so intrigued by the barn quilts! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thunder rumbling so hope I can type fast.

    I love the barn quilts...so colorful and cheery!

    Do all mental hospitals look alike? That could be the ones I know in my own corner. Hard to imagine the gruesome details. I sometimes think I'd enjoy a stay at Shady Acres myself. LOL!

    Must share this with my bil and see if he knows anything of that community since he grew up in Iowa and his mother still lives there. My sister very much enjoys visiting the state.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Independence looks like a beautiful town. I like the old train station and the mill. I often join the meme "Barn Charm" on Tuesdays and there have been a lot of quilt barns shown there. Nice post Judy. Have a great week. Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sat in desks like that too - for at least a few of my early grades.

    Are the quilts painted right on the barns? Or on plywood and then nailed on? I think I might like to do that on our barn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS - just found the answer and a lot of diy patterns on pinterest. This is going to be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the tour...interesting! Love the barn quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved this visit with you! We went to my nephew's wedding in Iowa almost 10 years ago. Saw some of that gorgeous scenery! Love the quilts! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun quick little side trip ... all because of a wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a historic and unique town. The quilts on the barns is a clever idea. Weddings can take us to fun, new areas of the country, and lucky for us, you had your camera with you.

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson