Thursday, January 31, 2013

you can DIY!

Or a friend can do it for you! 


 I have a new favorite coffee mug...
that came from a very good friend.

It's big...and holds lots of coffee!

And she made it especially for me.
Well, she never actually made the mug...
but she personalized it with a nice message.

It takes a long time to grow an old friend! 
(I'm OK with being called 'old'.)

I had been planning on trying my hand at writing on dishes...
after seeing all the neat examples on pinterest.

Simple...
so they say.
Buy white plates or mugs.
Write your message with a black 'sharpie' pen.
Bake for 30 minutes at 350°F...
and your message is permanent.
A great gift idea...
I thought.
I thought so even more when I was the recipient of such a gift.

She reversed the method.
She bought a black mug...
and wrote with a white marker.
And she suggested it might be easier to write on a plate than on a mug.
Well, I think she did a great job.
She has beautiful handwriting!
Thanks, Janet.

I'll leave with you few more simple ideas that you can 'do yourself'.
We had a group of friends over for dinner one night this week...
and celebrated a milestone birthday for one of the guys.
The place cards were wee photos of all the guests...


...attached with a paper clip to a cork and 
tucked into a candle holder of any size or height.
I think my grands would like this idea as well!

And one more simple idea...

...a 'fishbowl-vase' submerged floral arrangement. 
 I used a trifle bowl...
set a candle in the center...
twirled a few tulips complete with their stems around the candle...
and poured in the water.
Roses, orchids or tulips all love being under water...
and make great submerged arrangements.
And those are my DIY tips for this Friday.
Have a great weekend!
 

15 comments:

  1. Thank you for the tips! I like every one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the writing on dishes idea....I may have to try! Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas...now if I can just remember them when I need them!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them all Judy!! Your colour scheme is beautiful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That settles it...I am not putting my trifle bowl away!

    Sweet gift, sweet gathering, and sweet friends...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome ideas to make a dinner that more special! I love friendship mugs, every time you drink coffee out of that mug you will think of your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ideas....love the tulip display....would be great at Easter...maybe even add a couple colored eggs!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun ideas, Judy! It's great to get the "visual" with the instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Judy!
    You do find and share great tips.
    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely gift idea and great tablescape tips! Pinterest is a treasure trove of DIY ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a thoughtful gift and one that will surely make you think of your friend as you enjoy your coffee.
    I like the ease and beauty of your other ideas. I have a trifle bowl that doesn't get much use. I think that is about to change :).

    ReplyDelete
  12. What wonderful ideas! That personalized mug makes a lovely gift and the photo place cards and your floating vase arrangement are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for three great ideas! I liked them all. I love to find new ideas and store them away for future reference. The mug with the messages is a fun one, especially when you can be reminded with each morning's coffee, that you have a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those special tips are simple and fun to watch you create. Now I need to store them somewhere so that I can come back to them..The table setting was just so uniquely created with your thoughtfulness and everyone around the table enjoyed this milestone celebration.

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson