Thursday, October 9, 2008

my annual joyride

Every year about this time, I have the pleasure of taking a drive through the countryside to deliver our farm 'year-end' paperwork to our accountant's. Yesterday morning I was surprised by sunshine...a lovely day for a fall foliage tour.

Art happens to live in a most idyllic setting, where ducks float on the adjacent pond...


...he works from his home, which makes my task much more pleasurable than paying a visit to an office complex in the city.

After the windstorm of the last few days...many of the maples were missing a lot of their leaves. At our place, we are missing an entire tree! One of our 'red sunset maples' split down the middle...there is now a giant hole to remind us of where a tree once stood. I am now on a mission to find a fifteen foot replacement...since the missing tree is one of many that lined our driveway, and is quite conspicuous by it's absence.

I passed by an entire field of red sunset maples...in nice rows, waiting to be dug. They looked to be well over twenty feet tall...a little more than I need.

Everywhere, the farmers were cutting their last crop of grass or chopping corn. As the saying goes...we must 'make hay while the sun shines'!

I took a photo on the run...but I'll be back to buy some pumpkins before the weekend.

On my way home I stopped by my favorite garden shop...it's a wonderful place to get inspired for fall decor.

My joyride ended much too soon...but my philosophy of finding some way to make business a pleasure paid off.

I have a little visitor in pink this morning...who would like Grammy to come do some visiting. Her mommy is not well today...so keep her in your prayers.

9 comments:

  1. You started my day off just in the right way, a reminder that summer is officially gone and it's nippy out there. We need to walk that tour some day.

    I'm so sorry about the loss of a tree. I know the meaning of that.

    Have a great day with the little Pink One.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh the joy of embracing each opportunity . . I love that philosophy. So . .glad that your paperwork is done and you can concentrate on the little girl in pink .. oh I will pray for her mommy. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful sunshiney pictures....and the wonderful colours of autumn that we so rarely have a chance to see through the mist and rain here. Hope you have a great day with the little one in pink and that her mommy is better real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PLEASE keep posting such amazing pictures. I too like Fall, though I still long for the beach outings with my kiddos.

    Your daughter is so lucky to have a mum like you (and so close too). Hope she is feeling better soon. ALL children are a blessing, but it sure takes a toll on us mommys! Have a good day (heres to more sunshine and less wind!!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pic´s. You live in a beautiful country! Hope your daughter is better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful there!

    How awful about the tree. Hope that your insurance will cover the replacement. I love that you are actually going to replace it. One sees so many eyesores that people don't bother to tend to.

    Who isn't feeling well? Heidi? Keeping all the mommies in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful trees and mountains. I pray your daughter is feeling better. I imagine you loved watching that little cutie pie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely autumn photos! Thye made me happy.

    Sorry about the loss of your tree, and I hope you find a replacement.

    Hope your daughter feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're having a beautiful Fall...and lots of opportunities to take advantage of! Wonderful post, Judy!
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson