Monday, September 23, 2013

lancaster county, pennylvania

We spent the last few days of our road trip in Pennsylvania Dutch country...
Lancaster County.

It has been appropriately nicknamed 'The Garden Spot of America'.


Lush and green and beautiful...
we so enjoyed our time there.

Our home base for our stay was White Oak Campground...
near Strasburg.

When we made our reservations...
we had no idea how perfect the location would be.

It is right in the heart of Amish country...



...and we watched the horse and buggy teams clomping by as we sat at our picnic table.

Let me take you on a quick tour of the neighbourhood...
and I'll tell you more about our stay in Lancaster in another post.



The farms were all picturesque...
like calendar photos from yesteryear!


Just down the road...
we passed by fields with crops stacked up to dry.
What was it?
We did a little investigating.

Tobacco.
It is Lancaster County's largest cash crop...
worth about $22 million annually.


The shocks are brought in from the field...
hung from the barn rafters to dry...
and taken to market in the winter months.


We soon discovered that bicycles in this neighbourhood come without pedals.
Full-sized scooters...
is what they are.
And it seems no shoes are required to operate them.
Callouses would be an asset!


The houses...
which weren't built yesterday...
are all well-maintained!



Though in some ways it is a simpler way of life over here...


...we know that farming this way can not be easy!


Where we use machines for most everything...
they use horses.


Most every place had wash out on the line.
That is not something we see so often anymore.
 

Every few miles we would pass by another country schoolhouse...
complete with playground.


We so enjoyed our visit to Amish Country...
where an 18th century culture is thriving in our modern world.

Who said time stands still for no one?
Over here it has!

I'll be back with more...
about the friendly people...
their markets and auctions...
Hershey's chocolates...
and nearby historic Philadelphia. 


 Have a wonderful Monday!



20 comments:

  1. Hi Judy. I love your new header photo! Happy Fall to you. What beautiful photos of the Amish country in PA. It certainly is beautiful there. I can't imagine they don't have pedals on their bicycles! Although our grandson has one of those 'strider' bikes without pedals to teach him balance. The farms there are so neat and clean but they people sure work hard without the modern conveniences in the home and on the farm. I really like the old log house. Thanks for sharing and I'll look forward to more photos from this beautiful area. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoyed these pictures! We have traveled through this area many times on our way to visit the in-laws in New Jersey. It is truly a garden spot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How peaceful and picturesque it looks in Lancaster County. Your campground sounds like it was ideally located to provide a feel for the day to day life in that area.
    The Amish homes and farms appear to be so well maintained. I had no idea they grew that much tobacco there.
    I look forward to learning more about this part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been waiting for this tour. Absolutely gorgeous. I smiled at those full sized scooters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another well-written post by famous Judy! Lancaster County has long been on my bucket list of places to go...thanks for the campground tip. Lovely, lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful countryside. The Amish really know how to care for their homes, barns, fields...everything looks so charming. And I loved seeing clothes upon the line!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful post , Judy! We always enjoyed visiting the Amish area of Pennsylvania. They are very hard working people and keep to their traditions. I never knew their main crop was tobacco.I hope that changes someday as less people smoke cigarrettes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Judy, Love these pictures; I haven't been to Lancaster but would love to some day. Thanks for sharing.
    Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those pictures Judy! It makes me want to go back to that simple place. It is amazing how beautiful it all is to our eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think our tourist bureau would do well to buy your pictures for their brochures. You captured it all in a real-to-life way. Very well documented too, and all of it so much a part of my daily life. Can't wait to see the rest of your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So peaceful! I am wondering about the ADT blue sign in front of the old house. Isn't that an electronic security system sign?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Good observation! It must be a wireless security system....or a non-Amish homeowner. :)

      Delete
    2. Beautiful country...simpler life looks appealing....
      Can't wait to see more.

      Hugs

      Delete
  12. Looks like it's not called the Garden Spot of America for nothing! It was one of my favorite spots on our East Coast tour.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful spot that I've heard so much about. I didn't know that tobacco grew that far north - I always thought of it as a southern crop. Lots to learn while reading blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These photos are so exceptional, Judy. Love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoying your lovely photos Judy. Looks like you guys have been traveling back east this time, eh? Actually you were back in my country, growing up on the east coast is so different than the west. Loved seeing the tour of Roosevelt, been there many, many years ago. The Amish country so lush and green, your photos are star quality!!!
    Enjoy your season change, loved your new look on your dining table btw. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh My Photo Goodness!! you have so many wonderful shots Judy! These farm, countryside shots are beautiful! Thanks for sharing them with us!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the tour Judy. I had no idea tobacco is grown that far north! I love that old home with the log siding on it; it helps me imagine what sort of housing my early American ancestors must have had in Virginia and Kentucky and Ohio, though I'm sure their homes are long, long gone by now. It is very pretty with the colorful garden around it. I never would have guessed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thankyou for the beautiful picture and the kind and wecoming words. I am just learning about how to blog and get feedback and friends. Yours just kind of jumped out at me as I was looking at all the different blogging sites. If you have any tips, sure would appreciate it. God Bless and have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson