Over the past few days I have seen Christmas meme's popping up here and there. I momentarily considered joining Vee and Lorrie in the 2010 version of the Christmas meme...when I remembered I had one ready to post several years ago...still sitting in my files. So, here it is...the 2007 Christmas meme...with a few edits to make it current. Feel free to join in the fun...any version you want.
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I actually quite like wrapping gifts…you can make anything look beautiful! Gift bags are a great option though.
2. Real tree or artificial? Both. (Except this year. For the first time ever, there is only a fake tree. I know...a little sad!)
3. When do you put up the tree? We put up our ‘everlasting’ tree a month in advance and put up the real one closer to Christmas. (Like I said, it's not going to happen this year!)
4. When do you take the tree down? January 2, according to the rules! (I think I will be breaking that rule this year as well, and taking it down early.)
5. Do you like eggnog? Not even a bit. I’ll have a mocha or 'hot apple spice', please!
6. Favorite gift received as a child? I guess that tea set has to be right up there…but also ice skates.
6. Hardest person to buy for? My dad. I think we have bought him every book that he might be interested in. He got rid of most of his personal possessions when he moved nine years ago, so we don’t really want to burden him with ‘stuff’. So...it is usually another book.
7. Easiest person to buy for? The grandkids….and it is so fun shopping for them!
8. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Hmmm…I always like my gifts. But there was one Christmas gift that was pretty funny! The Christmas I was thirteen, my mom was in the hospital with a new born baby boy (great rejoicing in a household with five girls!). My dad played Santa. The only problem was that mom had done all the shopping and the gifts were all unwrapped in her closet. He distributed everything as he saw fit…not always to the right person. He even gave away her stockpile of pantyhose and Bev and I were the lucky recipients. We had a good laugh!
9. Mail or email Christmas cards? Snail mail…of course! I have a great collection of beautiful cards from through the years that I just can’t part with. There is one that I got from my sister (Bev) years ago …the background is a copy of the Christmas story from my maternal grandmother’s German Bible. I treasure it because it was made for me…an e-mailed copy of the card wouldn’t be quite the same!
10. Favorite Christmas Movie? I would like to say ‘The Nativity’, but I better watch it first! I can't name one off-hand, but always enjoy watching a good movie over the Christmas season.
11. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Oh…I usually start thinking about it in summer.
12. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? No….I don’t think so!
13. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Turkey dinner with all the trimmings…and a wonderful, rich dessert to top it off. I love ‘Christmas’ oranges, but now I can buy those from September until Christmas. We are so spoiled!
14. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Clear
15. Favorite Christmas song? There are so many…I love Christmas carols. Here’s a few… “Mary did you know?”, “Silent Night”, Hallelujah Chorus form Handel’s Messiah. I don’t care if I never hear “Twelve Days of Christmas” again though.
16. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Home, always! But traveling right after Christmas sounds like a plan.
17. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Of course…but only if I sing the song.
18. Angel on the tree top or a star? Angel
19. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas morning has been our tradition.
20. Most annoying thing about this time of year? The rush, the crowds, and all the commercialism.
21. Favorite tradition of the season? Getting together with family…such a good time to connect. Brunch on Christmas morning with our gang is the best.
22. Do you have a Nativity scene? Yes. I had a nativity set that I got many years ago at a ‘white elephant’ gift exchange and it came out faithfully every Christmas. It was made in Italy...and breakable...and after the grands arrived, I purchased a more child-friendly set. It gets put up with the first of the Christmas decor.
23. Family member I try to stay away from? No such family members in this clan!
24. Favorite colour of poinsettia? Red or cream coloured...not blue, purple or green!
25. Do you attend church services at Christmas? We attend the Christmas Eve service every year…it wouldn’t be Christmas without it! The children are usually involved...and it's a wonderful family night. I'm looking forward to it!