Thursday, December 23, 2010

five star lodging for the birds...

Though most gifts are safely under wraps...and under the tree...there are a few that I have already been enjoying!


My brother-in-law showed up at the door on Sunday with a 'hostess gift' for me...one he had made.  Little did he know that my birdhouses were about ready for demolition.  The birds will not believe their good fortune this spring...when they arrive to find five-star lodging!  The new barn birdhouse comes complete with milkmaid, cattle and even a farmhand.  How special is that?  The 'bentwood' wheelbarrow that the birdhouse is perched on...was made for me by the same BIL many years ago.  Thank-you, Ron!



These cookies were delivered by a neighbour last week...and though they were wrapped it never took us long to break into the tray.  And cookies on the counter don't stay there for long!

I know it is more blessed to give than to receive...but the receiving has been good.  What can I say...but thank-you! 

 
Enjoy the day...

12 comments:

  1. Yes, and Christmas is all about receiving. Isn't it? (I do really think so.) And by receiving we make another's day. What a thoughtful gift and so much work put into it! You'd not find that in any store. Those cookies are so pretty that I don't know if I could eat one. Who am I kidding? I received some specialty chocolates this week to open on Christmas Day. When I do, I'm going to gasp and say, "There are four chocolates missing!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great hand made bird house!!
    Fun. Those cookies are so lovely looking. It is fun to receive :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a very talented BIL. That birdhouse is so cute.
    Cookies don't seem to stay on the counter long around here either. How nice of your neighbor to deliver such a scrumptious looking plateful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Giving and receiving are at the heart of Christmas, are they not? I'm certain that for all the lovely gifts you've received and shown to us, you've also given.
    Cookies don't last long around here, either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Lorrie about the giving and receiving. The fact that you show appreciation for your gifts is what makes giving fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the birdhouse! Oh those cookies look delicious! It's nice to be on the receiving end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that was so sweet of your brother in law. the birds will be so very happy as well as everyone who is lucky enoigh to eat those yummy cookies

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely gifts! The birds will be happy and so will you, with those good-looking cookies waiting to be sampled.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both are wonderful and thoughtful gifts, Judy!

    Wishing you and your family a very blessed Christmas! Good health, happiness in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My spouse and I were sent here since this particular internet page has been tweeted by a man I was following and feel pleased I made it here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is more blessed to give when the receiver has a sincere heart of gratitude for the gift! Have a wonderful Christmas! I can see you're enjoying the receiving as well as the giving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I was a little bird ...I'd love to come live in your new birdhouse!
    and the cookie tray looks delicious too! What thoughtful gifts!

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson