Monday, December 6, 2010

lighting the candles at long last...

I'm always a little reluctant to light the candles...because, before you know it...they are gone.  And so I tend to save the decorative ones...to light later.  But twenty-four years of saving is ridiculous!


It was that long ago in fall that our good friends had a baby girl...and when she was only about six weeks old...she came for a sleepover.  I don't remember much about that night...but I'm sure she was as good as gold...that's just how she is.  Her mom and dad went on an overnight get-away to a Bavarian village in the Cascade Mountains of Washington State...and brought me back the cutest little candle stands and candles.  They became part of my Christmas decor that year...and every year since.

On Saturday as I was preparing to go to Joanne's wedding...and thinking how quickly the years had flown...I noticed the candles on the shelf were still sporting pristine white wicks after all this time.  I decided her wedding day was as good a time as any to light the candles.  So, I lit the candles for Joanne and Ben.

May they share a lifetime of happiness and the peace that comes from knowing God is in control.

Can you guess where they are off to on their honeymoon?


15 comments:

  1. It seems as though you found the perfect occasion to light those pretty candles.
    Congratulations and best wishes to the newlyweds who, I think, are headed to Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty bride.....and I'll add my vote for Hawaii. Like you, I have my share of beautiful things just waiting for a 'special occasion'....it's good that you found an occasion to warrant lighting the candles.
    Now, back to the floor..........

    ReplyDelete
  3. How absolutely wonderful. I had so many candles at one point they were beginning to take up an entire drawer. . .and I started to burn them.
    My mom had a candle that she purchased in Israel and saved over several decades and never did burn. I wonder who in the family took it home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps...

    I have had a set of winter candles that look like birch bark for years and years. I think it's time to light those as well.

    Wonderful idea to light yours for this very special reason. Are they going where her parents did all those years ago?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I think you found the perfect opportunity to light those candles. The bride's dress is oh, so pretty and what a happy couple. Looks like they are headed to Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect occasion for burning the candles and for telling the story behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I burn candles all the time, I can't imagine keeping them that long. LOL!! I just checked my candle draw, yes, I have a draw just for candles and I need to restock! What a beautiful couple, I'm going to go to go out on a limb and say their honeymoon destination is Hawaii! Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply devine!!! What a gorgeous couple, and the lighting of the candles to honor them and their day is most rewarding~~~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to Joanne and Ben! I think it is so special to light the candles for them and wish them many blessings on their wedding and future life together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, burn those candles and enjoy them! Great decision Judy. What a fun dress the bride has on! Now I'm off to look at my candle stash and see if I'm hoarding any...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet they're going to that darling little Bavarian town in Washington, which I'm thinking is named Leavenworth. I've heard it is magical at Christmastime. You'll have to let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who would have thought when you got them, that you'd be lighting them for her wedding? That is a long wait!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, do I recognize those candles. That sort of makes me want to cry a little bit. Weird...I must be hormonal...

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson