Monday, April 23, 2012

the old john deere ~ still sitting pretty

Though my dad was mainly a Ford kind of guy...he did have a soft spot for the old John Deere tractors.  He had an antique JD in his collection...looking pretty spiffy and sputtering along.  When it came time for him to move from his country home to the city...my Aunt Maggie made him a proposal.  Since he couldn't take the tractor with him...how about if she took it to her back yard...where it would become part of the landscape.  If they should ever leave...he could have his tractor back.  That was more than a decade ago.  The JD has been sitting pretty in their yard all these years!
 

Last night we were invited for dinner to my uncle and aunt's ...and my dad was there as well.  After four decades, Uncle Jake and Aunt Maggie have decided to move on.  What to do with the tractor?  Though my dad would dearly love to have it back...his strata council would not likely be thrilled with a tractor parked on the grounds!  So if you know of anyone who wants a pretty old JD tractor (one that doesn't necessarily sputter anymore...and who knows if the wheels even turn)...let me know. 



We had such a nice visit around the table last night.  I have been to their place many times over the years...and it was a little sad to know this was likely the last visit in this home.  The after dinner entertainment was the hockey game.  Hmmm.  Uncle Jake can put his Canucks shirt away until next year.  What can we say?

The day was all but done by the time we said our farewells.  Since when do the hosts send gifts home with their guests?  When they are planning to move! :) 


Though the antique JD is a little big and cumbersome to move around...Uncle Jake gave me a wee replica of a tractor he once owned.  It had been a gift from my mom long ago, and he thought I should have it.  It's sitting pretty in my landscape this morning.  And hubby got an extension ladder...which he'll have to bring home another day.

I wish my uncle and aunt all the best as they make plans to move.  May they find the perfect new place to call home...and may it even have enough space for Uncle Jake to unpack the rest of his JD collection! 

16 comments:

  1. Using the JD in the landscaping was an inspired idea. I hope it finds a terrific new home. I must admit though, I kind of thought maybe you were going to take it to your house! The little one in your landscaping is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH ...we might be willing to take care of JD and give him a nice bed to rest in...I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you might take your Dad's JD home to your property, Judy, and use it decoratively? I bet your grands would love to sit on it and pretend they were driving it! It looks like Lovella is interested so not all is lost.

    Best wishes to your Aunt & Uncle on their new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet story. I love how your aunt and uncle have shared their special belongings with a much loved niece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Pat. You need to take it home with you. I know you would make it beautiful surrounded with flowers.

    My father-in-law purchased by grandfather's old Ford tractor. I was sad when it had to be sold once again. I wish we could have figured out a way to get it into the wooded section of our backyard. Too late, and I hope the new owner loves it well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I think this would make a lovely focal point and a great place for the grands to play. Don't you? I can see it so clearly. Perhaps I need to scoot now...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not even going to tell Dear about that tractor. LOL! Looks like some nice times with your uncle aunt and dad! Sorry about the Canucks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like John Deere, too...so country!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely foto of Dad with the old tractor, Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely post!!
    Time seems to fly by, doesn't it?
    I know that 'last supper' with your aunt and uncle in their home was very special for you. Glad you shared that time with US!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ya....I don't think our strata would allow that either. Fun post! I hope that JD finds a happy resting place and is really enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun to see "Uncle Jake and Aunt Maggie" as we called them growing up. They are such warm people. I hope they find someone to take your dad's JD.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute JD Story. We have those all tucked away for just the right occasions. What a perfect gift to give back to you. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Was wonderful joining you for dinner last night at mom and dad's. Dad has loved having that tractor in his yard, and has bragged to many people about it. The grandkids have enjoyed it too. I hid their Easter eggs on it this year. Lots of memories. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Knowing your decorating and gardening skills, you will soon have this tractor looking like it was in your lawn all along. It will be the best looking JD tractor in the country! What a special piece of memorabilia for you to have.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's sweet to known that instead of scraping it you made it useful again

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson