There are many ways to fold a napkin...most of which I have never learned. There is one way, however...that I can pretty much do in my sleep. Weddings, banquets and dinners...I have folded hundreds of napkins this way. The finished napkin looks rather like a crown...
- Fold napkin in half to form a rectangle.
- Fold top right corner down to bottom edge.
- Fold bottom left corner up to top edge.
- Turn napkin over.
- Fold bottom edge up to top edge...one triangle will extend below bottom edge.
- Fold napkin along the top edge as you turn it over...a second triangle will fall free.
- Fold right quarter toward the centre, tucking the point under the long fold.
- The napkin will look like illustrated in #8.
- Turn napkin over. Fold right quarter toward the centre and tuck in the point.
And while I am at it...let me share with you another intricate way of folding a napkin...
...one which I just learned from my friend Julie a few weeks ago. I came home and practiced a few times. I won't be doing this one in my sleep, let me assure you...but I think I have it figured out.
- Lay the napkin flat on the table, and bring each of the four corners down to meet at the centre spot.
- Without turning the napkin, fold the corners down again in the same way.
- Now turn the napkin over so the underside is up...and again bring each corner down to meet at the centre spot.
- Now, hold a small glass firmly on the centre of the napkin to hold the last four folds securely in place. Next...reach underneath and pull each of the four corner points to the outside. Then pull out the remaining four points...one on each side.
You should end up with a napkin that resembles a flower. It looks rather like a nest...the perfect spot to add a little dinner favour. My daughter was over yesterday...and we played with napkins...just for fun. It seems to work better with paper napkins...but I rather like the look of the cloth ones as well.
Why not include one other simple way of folding a napkin?
It's great for a buffet service...with the cutlery already tucked into a napkin.
- Fold the napkin in half to form a rectangle.
- Place folded edge at the bottom.
- Bring top edge of the first layer to the bottom.
- Turn the napkin over...and bring left edge to centre.
- Fold this section over on itself two more times in the same direction.
And that, my friends, is your napkin folding lesson for today. Have a fun weekend!