Monday, June 21, 2010

in praise of porches...

Though porches are rather an old-fashioned architectural feature...and were replaced in the last century by 'the sundeck' in popularity...I rather like porches.  You might have guessed that...just by visiting my blog...or my home.


I was at a garden show over the weekend...where we had the chance to visit some fabulous gardens in our community. I was thinking of taking you along on the garden tour today...but as I sorted through pictures I decided on a 'porch tour' instead...and leave the gardens for tomorrow.


Two of the gardens on the tour...were in a new development in our area...though you would think you are stepping back in time when you enter this neighbourhood.  All the homes have a vintage look about them... with rich heritage tones, welcoming front porches, and massive trees that guard the lush landscaping.


Some have front porches...


 ...side porches...and back porches.  I think they must have known they would need a covered area to get in out of the west coast rain in June!


The porches on the tour...looked most inviting...


...and rather like those one would see in a magazine.  I thought I should go home and do a little porch decorating...since my looks rather barren in comparison!


Some porches were small and stately...


...some were expansive and open


...but all said 'welcome'!


And for all those who have no porch...and no chance of having one anytime soon...here's another idea straight from this weekend's garden show.


A garden sunroom...created totally with latticework and bamboo shades.  My niece (who is visiting from Australia) and my daughter made themselves right at home!

We really enjoyed the garden tour...and concluded that one needs to have a place to sit and enjoy one's garden...and a porch is a good place to do just that!

I'll show you the gardens tomorrow...unless something better comes up!


Have a great day...

25 comments:

  1. I'm all for porches, garden rooms whatever you like to call them. They are great for informal entertaining which is the type of entertaining we do most down here in Australia.
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love porches and plan to have one in my upcoming remodel. Maybe I'll even have two—a front porch and a back porch. You can never have too many porches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy thanks for such a fun tour. I wish I had one of those porches to sit and read and have an ice tea on a hot summers day. I can't wait to see the garden tour.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful collection of porches. I enjoyed the way they were decorated just like regular room. Oh yes, I could take any one of them. My grandparents had a screened in porch and I really did enjoy spending time there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful! that first one is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Garden tours are great for inspiration - all the porches look wonderful, perfect places to curl up with a book and a glass of cold lemonade on a summer's day - sure to come soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love porches but mine doesn't look like an outside 'living room':)
    Those are some great looking porches!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun post...and tour you went on. I have a front porch that is in need of TLC. I have a nice porch that is just boring...I will have to have a good look at some of those porches again and get my creative side in gear. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. If there will ever be another place for me to live on this earth .. .it will most certainly have a covered porch. I've always thought they are the perfect thing for our climate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post was an exceptional pleasure! Front porches are wonderful...I do wish I had one. But your post gave me lots to dream about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love this tour. The porches are so inviting. I've always loved porches!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the first one. They are all charming tho'.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would have loved being on this tour. Especially on the vintage porches. They have a real "welcome home" feel to them. Joining friends on a porch, whether it is raining or sun, is a real special privilege in my book. Thank you for sharing this lovely tour.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love porches, too, and you have shared some gorgeous ones.

    I've posted about my front porch today as part of Rhondi's Porch Party. Stop by if you have a chance. After all, we are lovers of porches.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Porches have such a unique ambiance about them. They make you feel at home and I think you should add your Front Porch to the tour next year.
    It always makes me feel at Home.

    ReplyDelete
  16. After looking at all these lovely porches, I may need to revamp mine too.

    Can't to see pictures of the gardens! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is a happy thing that porches are making a come back! You can barely pry me off of ours once the weather turns nice.

    PS: A perfect porch has a water feature near by too. The sound of gently falling water is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a nice tour after being at work and just looking at books...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love porches... wish I had one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've always wanted a house with a big front porch and a porch swing, Judy. That would be hard to find around here. I have a small open back porch that holds my bar-b-que and a small table chair set for two. At least it's a quiet spot to sit and enjoy the birds and my flowers.

    Looking forward to seeing the gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love all the porches on your tour! It's like an additional room of the house... I would love to have a big old wrap around porch!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What beautiful porches - but yours is really something special! Like you, these porches make me want to go home and do some serious porch decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the porches. Especially the last one. Too cute with the birdhouses.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks like the porches came in handy now that the sunshine has found you :)

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson