Wednesday, June 23, 2010

we're on the board...

There were a lot of good things about yesterday...not the least of which was the sunshine!   Mount Cheam had been obscured by clouds for most of the past month...but came finally came out of hiding.


It seems the mountain had good reason to show it's face...as it will soon be a peak that will be recognized by many.  It is the face of Chilliwack...my fair city...one of twenty-two Canadian cities to have a home on the new Monopoly Canadian Edition.  Hasbro announced the winning cities yesterday...after allowing fans a chance to vote for their favorites during a six-week period earlier this year. 

Chilliwack will be the 'Tennesee Avenue' space on the board...available for $1.8 million.  The picture on that square...


...will be Mt. Cheam. 


 Whatever the season......it's always a good view!

 

If you want to have a chance to buy Chilliwack...and catch a glimpse  of Mt. Cheam...I happen to know that the new Monopoly game is going on sale on June 28. 

Though you may never have heard of Chilliwack...we managed to get more votes than Vancouver, Ottawa, Toronto and Kelowna.  Oh yes...we are a loyal and patriotic bunch over here...and we like our city just fine.
And since I encouraged you all to join me in voting for my hometown ...I would just like to thank those of you who helped put Chilliwack on the new Monopoly: Canada Edition. 

I can't say we have spent much time playing Monopoly over the past few decades...but it holds many good memories for me.  I remember playing Monopoly with my grandmother when I was just young...and getting my own Monopoly game for Christmas one year.  After I was married...we bought Monopoly...since every home should have one.  We played occasionally with the kids...and now the grands like to play with the Monopoly money.   And so...I think a Canadian edition of the old board game is a fine idea.  And maybe we can learn a little about other Canadian cities that made the board. What do you know about  Kawartha Lakes?  I know a little more now than I did this morning!

So that is my news for today.  Oh...and today's forecast?  Sunshine!

17 comments:

  1. Yippee for the sunshine and for Chilliwack. I'm looking forward to seeing your fair city in September!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a great little town you have. . I'll surely try to buy it. It nice to know we can make a difference in even small ways.
    I'm so hapy to see high cloud today. .maybe that sun will soon break through here too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! Congratulations on getting Chilliwack on the new Canadian Monopoly board! I'm positive it was through your efforts to get us to vote for it, Judy.

    Mount Cheam deserves a board space and your photo # 3 of the mountain with the tulips in the foreground should be the image they use ..it's magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures are breathtaking! I'm a sucker for mountains :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea Chilliwack, I saw that we had made the Monopoly Board. There were too many of us cheering.
    Wasn't it a great day for pictures.
    Stay on board my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Something to celebrate! And that mountain? That's the one we climbed last Fall! Have you climbed it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool! I remember voting...how long ago was that? Mt. Cheam is looking lovely after a month in seclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats for Chilliwack's place on the board. I have a friend in England who says she giggles every time she reads that word. I guess I grew up with it and it doesn't have the same impact.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's pretty amazing that Chilliwack won over those other larger and more 'famous' cities. It is a beautiful place, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely need a Monopoly: Canada Edition. I think I'll need to find an agent in Canada to get me one because it certainly won't be in the stores here! Sure am glad Chilliwack made it and I look forward to seeing what they put on the other properties.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How exciting! Congratulations! I know you are pleased. The mountain is beautiful. How blessed you are to see that view every day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I heard the news I shouted 'I voted for Chilliwack!'...as though I had been personally responsible for the choice. Good for you, Judy, for getting that vote out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is so beautiful! I desperately would like to visit! And it seems your weather would be a much needed break from ours (= plenty of sunshine but with it plenty of humidity and unbearable heat)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Score for Chilliwack!!! I think the whole town should have a group Canada "Monopoly-in"...(everyone playing the game) on Canada Day. Maybe Chilliwack could make it into the World's Records book for the most people playing Monopoly at one time. Wouldn't that be cool???

    ReplyDelete
  15. If I could choose to vacation anywhere, I would pick the mountains. I always enjoy time spent there. This post was so interesting to me. I remember being introduced to Chilliwack before on your blog, and hoping for the privilege of visiting there. What a beautiful place it must be. Your photography is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is not the first time that Monopoly games have had this kind of voting. Remember Monopoly Here and Now World Edition? There was a lot of fuss about the cities which missed out on that due to online voting -- Venice and San Francisco to name but two world-class ones -- and it seems that the switched on communities place hundreds of votes per person. I think it should be limited to one vote per person. Fun project though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now this is good news - will have to get out and try to find this game!

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson