Thursday, January 17, 2008

Cauliflower Cheese Soup

Brrrrr! I just watched the weather forecast and it's going to get cold...and, if you live in the prairies, VERY COLD! At any rate, it's soup weather...so I'll share one of our favorite quickie soups, that we enjoyed last week. Just add some yummy fresh bread, and call it a meal!


Cauliflower Cheese Soup
  • 1 medium head cauliflower 
  • 1 carrot, grated
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • ¼ cup butter or margarine
  • ¼ cup onion chopped
  • ¼ cup flour
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 cup grated cheddar cheese


1. Cook cauliflower, carrot, and celery in chicken stock until tender. (I use water and add OXO chicken bouillon.)
 

2. Do not drain. Mash vegetables with a potato masher.
3. Melt butter in large saucepan. Add onion and saute until limp. Do not brown. 
4. Blend in flour, salt and pepper. Add milk. Heat and stir until it boils and thickens. Add cheese and stir until cheese melts.



5. Add cheese sauce to mashed cauliflower mixture. 
6. Remove from heat and serve. Garnish with parsley, if desired.

Notes: The grated carrot and celery are optional...I just like the added colour. (It was pouring rain when I cooked the soup, so the parsley garnish stayed in the garden!)


What I really needed this week was chicken soup! I'm off to the grocery store this morning, so maybe I'll pick up what I need to cook up a pot. I've never actually made chicken noodle soup from scratch...my mom-in-law made the best, and I got my fix there (hmmm...that's been awhile!) 
Stay warm, enjoy your day...and have a bowl of soup!

8 comments:

  1. Oh I love a good bowl of piping hot soup. Thank you for the recipe, your cawliflower soups looks fantastice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that would be perfect for our weather here today! Not as cold as you're getting, I'm sure!
    I forgot to mention...when you left a comment that said the stretch of road in my blog looked like Nevada 93? Well, it was Arizona 93!! What a good eye you have!! And if you ever get back to Vegas...I'm your tour guide! *lol* Have a great day!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soup looks so good...comforting too. Think I'll try it with broccoli as I have extra to use up. Thanks for the recipe..
    I love looking at the calendar, Judy and each month has such neat quotes with the pictures. Great job on the photography!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Judy,
    I have been reading your blog for awhile now and really enjoy it. I was so happy to come across your delicious looking recipe for the soup! I had been wanting to find one to use up the big head of Cauliflower in my fridge...must be a God thing that you posted this! ;) Anyway, it looked so good that I hope you don't mind that I linked it to my website. I wanted to share your website and the recipe with some wonderful friends of mine.

    Be blessed!
    Debbie (hmsclmom)

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds so delicious, will make a good dinner tomorrow with some french bread!
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  6. This soup looks so delicious. I have made myself a copy of the recipe and will be trying it out. I love that it is very simple - my favorite kind of recipe. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so beautiful I can almost smell it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Today, I went to the beach with my chіldrеn.
    I found a sеa shell anԁ gave it to my 4 year old ԁaughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She put
    the shеll tо her еаr and sсгeamed.
    There wаs a heгmit crab іnside and it ρinсheԁ heг ear.
    She never wants to go baсk! LoL I know this
    is completely off toρic but I had to tell someone!


    My sіte: improve focus
    My page: what goes into a nootropic

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson