Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Danish Cream Squares

This creamy dessert is always a favorite. It's been Heidi's 'birthday cake' for as long as I can remember...and as you can see, I always make lots because it just disappears!



  • graham wafers
  • vanilla pudding and pie filling, 6-serving size
  • 2 1/2 cups milk
  • 2 cups whipping cream (500 ml)
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
  • 3 tablespoons milk
  • 1 square semi-sweet chocolate
  • 1 teaspoon butter or margarine
  1. Line 9 x 13 inch ungreased pan with whole graham wafers, trimming to fit.
  2. Cook pudding with milk as directed, using only 2 1/2 cups of milk.
  3. Allow to cool; spread over graham crackers in pan.
  4. Beat cream, sugar and vanilla until stiff. Spread over pudding.
  5. Top with second layer of whole graham crackers, trimming to fit.
  6. Mix icing sugar and milk together well. It needs to be fairly thin (add more milk if necessary). Spread over cracker layer.
  7. Melt chocolate with butter (in microwave). Drizzle over top. 
  8. Chill. Let stand overnight before serving.




Cut into squares & enjoy!


Now you can go and make dessert
...and I better get packing.

We are off to Arizona tomorrow, if I manage to get myself organized by then!

9 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, Arizona!

    I have a special fondness for Arizona, which is where my son was born. We lived there for nearly three years.

    You will have fun!

    And, thank you for that delicious recipe. I've never seen anything like it and have definitely snagged it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so delicious. Instead of going for a walk next time, I think I need to spend time in your kitchen. I love that recipe..but then on run up teapot later.

    Have great holiday and see you at the end of November.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, this is also one of our family favorites. Yours looks just like mine and now I'm hungry for it too.

    If you don't post once more, do have a fabulous time. We'll look forward to your pictures and I'll sure miss you in blogland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mouth is literally watering as I write this!! I'm definitely going to need to try making those :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummmm.... I wish I could eat the photos..they would be gluten-free, right?? smile

    I wish you a most restful, enjoyable vacation in Arizona..soak up the sunshine and if you can please bring some back with you !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's my favorite. I adore it, and ate ALL the pieces I brought home. mmmm...I look forward to it every year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your blog(from Lovella's blog)and have loved "reading back". So thought it was time to pop in to wish you a happy day and a lovely time on your holiday.

    We called it Graham Wafer Squares but same recipe..it always was a special treat when Mom served it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooohh, I have been wanting these for quite some time! They don't have graham crackers in Oz! I need to bring some back with me. I love your blog, Aunt Judy, always full of things to do and try, and of course I love all the photos to remind me of home! See you soon! We're out Nov 23 until mid Feb. PS. Have a great raod trip!

    ReplyDelete

'The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.'
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson